Mooney Breakfast Flight - Hagerstown (KHGR), MD, Sunday, Feb 21st - 9:00 Arrival

Seth

A group of Mooney Pilots from various airports surrounding Washington, DC, will be flying in for breakfast at Hagerstown, KHGR, on Sunday, arrival at HGR at 9:00 AM EST.

The breakfast at  "Runways," adjacent to the Ryder Jet Center, is fantastic.  I have a table reserved and am working on getting us a fuel discount.  When you land, head to Ryder Jet Center and they'll park you near the entrance.  If you are the biggest baddest aircraft there, they'll park you as a VIP (see picture below - there were no other aircraft parked that day).

So far we have pilots attending from Gaithersburg (KGAI), Freeway (W00), and Frederick (KFDK).

Let me know if you plan to attend so I can ensure there are enough seats at the table (it gets busy as the locals love the place).  You can reply to the thread or send me a PM.

Hagerstown has instrument approaches if you need to keep up your proficiency.  It is a Class D airport.  The skies should be partly cloudy on Sunday morning with some rain in the later afternoon (forecasts change so I'll keep an eye out and update the thread).  I fully expect the flight to occur.

Last month it was a Saturday flight, this month it's a Sunday.  I will continue to organize monthly flights on Saturday or Sunday for breakfast around the region.  Some can't make Saturday, some can't make Sunday.

****Update - I arranged for us to get self serve gas pricing from the truck while we eat.  Self serve fuel is $4.55 per gallon, normal full service is $5.30, so that's 75 cents per gallon less than usual full service.  $4.55 fuel on Sunday morning at HGR for the Seth Meyers / Mooney Group - I told them a 182 and a few Bonanza's may show up as well.***********

See you Sunday the 21st!  

Take care,

-Seth

ATTENDEES LISTED BELOW!          

***Updated as of 2/20/16 at 7:49 PM*********

Seth - GAI

Alex - GAI

Oscar and sons - GAI

Jason - W00

Alan in his 182 and some Bonanza pilots- New Jersey

Chris/Marauder - Delaware

Larry and Guest - CXY, PA

Tony - FME - Maryland / Georgia

VIP.JPG

I've updated the attendee list on the first post.  We'll have Mooney's, Alan's 182, and maybe some Bonanza's on the ramp.

Ryder Jet Center has agreed to give us the self serve fuel price as part of the fly in.  So fuel will be $4.55 per gallon full service.  That's a savings of 75 cents.  Usually, their full service price is $5.30 per gallon.

See you Sunday!

-Seth

• Like 1

I may take the morning to install brakes on our wagon at the hangar. Maybe I'll ride my bike over for breakfast. No guarantees, I'm still working on the hall pass.  I left for San Diego on a business trip the morning of last week's storm and I've not yet built up any capital with my bride.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tony Armour said:

Hmmm, I'm at Fort Meade Tipton now.

Tony-

Come join us Sunday if you can!  This way when you get back to Georgia, you can banter on MooneySpace with all the inside jokes you can regarding the Mid-Atlantic guys.

How long are you in town?  It's a quick flight from Ft. Meade/Tipton to Hagerstown - just watch out for Camp David / P-40 when flying up there.  If going VFR and you are not entirely familiar with the SFRA procedures, PM me and we'll set up a phone call.

-Seth

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shadrach said:

I may take the morning to install brakes on our wagon at the hangar. Maybe I'll ride my bike over for breakfast. No guarantees, I'm still working on the hall pass.  I left for San Diego on a business trip the morning of last week's storm and I've not yet built up any capital with my bride.

Hopefully we get to see you but if not we understand.

I haven't even let on yet about the bathrooms at the Ryder Jet Center FBO.  Serious money went into those as you have a pilot and aircraft owner taking about it online.  You have a nice base between that and the museum on the field. 

Hope to see you Sunday, even if just for a few minutes.

-Seth 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Seth said:

Hopefully we get to see you but if not we understand.

I haven't even let on yet about the bathrooms at the Ryder Jet Center FBO.  Serious money went into those as you have a pilot and aircraft owner taking about it online.  You have a nice base between that and the museum on the field. 

Hope to see you Sunday, even if just for a few minutes.

-Seth 

Dave Rider does not half-ass anything that I know of. He's a hometown boy turned real estate developer. He has an ATP and is fixed wing and rotor certified.  He flies a Citation mustang single pilot and uses his Hughes 500 for local flying. He also has or had an L-39, DC-3, Maul float plane, J3 cub, Super cub,  I've lost track of all the planes that man has or has had partnerships in. He's been very generous to the local pilot populous.  I once asked to store my vintage Triumph motorcycle in their parking lot for a few days during hangar inspections (we used to have a hard ass on the board).  When I came back to retrieve the bike a week later it was not in the parking lot.  I worriedly asked the desk attendant if he had seen it. He ushered me into the big hangar where the bike had been moved out of the weather by an employee and parked under the tail of a transient Falcon Jet.  That's the kind of operation they run.  The bathrooms in the jet center were really no big deal all other things considered.

Hope to see you as well!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seth said:

Tony-

Come join us Sunday if you can!  This way when you get back to Georgia, you can banter on MooneySpace with all the inside jokes you can regarding the Mid-Atlantic guys.

How long are you in town?  It's a quick flight from Ft. Meade/Tipton to Hagerstown - just watch out for Camp David / P-40 when flying up there.  If going VFR and you are not entirely familiar with the SFRA procedures, PM me and we'll set up a phone call.

-Seth

I'll know more tomorrow if it's possible. We are headed back Sunday but not until a little later. I'll look at the charts, I've always done IFR up here. Daughter and family moved up about 10 months ago. My 3rd time flying up. 

Edited by Tony Armour

We are on for breakfast!

Weather will be VFR early and during arrival at HGR - Cielings forecast to be 5000 feet AGL.  During breakfast we'll watch marginal VFR and possible rain moving in and most likely IFR departures.  Ceilings are forcast around HGR departure time to be 1500 AGL.  Areas to the east are forecast to remain marginal VFR.  At all times winds are forcast to be light with no gusts.

We we will still indeed hold breakfast however should anyone not want to come for weather personal minimums, we all completely understand.  I'll monitor throughout the evening and post again in the morning.  

Looking forward to breakfast!

-Seth

Good Morning - Breakfast still on . . . 

However, there may be moderate rain will be rain when people want to leave.  

I'm heading up for a quick breakfast and will leave before the rain arrives by 10:30 ish.  It's a small band, but moderate.  If it turns bad I'll just turn around or leave early.  It is moving west to east and thus those coming from the northeast should be fine except for MVFR or IFR for a few minutes when departing.

We'll have VFR until 10:00.

Again, do indeed cancel if this is below your weather minimums.

It looks great now but moderate rain wil move in during the late morning.

See you there!

-Seth

4 minutes ago, Tony Armour said:

I guess I'm out. Not worth fighting weather AND airspace :-(

That's quite alright Tony.  

However just to be clear, Obama is not there and P-40 (Camp David) is just as usually published today which means avoid the inner ring and that outer ring is nothing.

Lets get together the next time you are in town!

-Seth

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seth said:

That's quite alright Tony.  

However just to be clear, Obama is not there and P-40 (Camp David) is just as usually published today which means avoid the inner ring and that outer ring is nothing.

Lets get together the next time you are in town!

-Seth

Too bad, you could have Mr Prez come by and join you?

3 hours ago, Oscar Avalle said:

Seth, it was great meeting you all! Moderate rain and chop on the way back. Will put together a video later!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We waited for that band to move out and then departed.  We filed IFR and were VMC most of the way and then shot the GPS 14 back into GAI.  We broke out 3 miles from the runway and there was a 172 working the pattern.  It was light rain at that point.  Very smooth for us on the way back - you must have flown through or on the edge of the band that we waited out.

A pleasure meeting you and looking forward to future flights.

-Seth

• Like 1