Aspen PFD and King Autopilots

This is a posting from the Beech list.  The information in it is
unconfirmed, but interesting and hopefully correct!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I received a belated response from Aspen yesterday indicating that later
this year they would have FAA approval for the Aspen Pro to directly drive
the KFC series of autopilots, thereby eliminating the need for the KI-256
and vacuum system.  Of course one would need a back-up alternator and an
electric standby AI.  My airplane is going to have a lot of antiquated
equipment removed if this comes to fruition.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOW that would make it VERY attractive!! anYbody have anyidea what it would take to put a second alternator on a tsio-360-xx to satisfy the need for redundincy or is their a way to install a second battery backup just for the aspen? i don't beleive that i have a second location avaiable for one in the current configuration but i am not shure. 

I don't understand why a backup alternator would be required...in the event of an electrical failure the Aspen battery should be sufficient to get on the ground right-side-up as soon as possible.  Having a backup attitude indicator would be very wise, though.

GAMI makes an accessory pad mounted backup alternator, which could be installed at the old vacuum pump location.  Pretty simple IMO!