adding Right Seat Brakes

CaptGMoore

I am currently in consideration of purchasing a M20C, or M20F and will be looking to use the airplane for my CFI training and FAA Checkride.   I am interested to know if any of you know the cost, and process to add brakes to the right seat of these M20C or M20F models.   Are there any maintenance shops that might have familiarity or experience with this STC modification?  I would appreciate any information on whether or not this modification is possible and at what other considerations would I need to know.   Thanks for the help

I added them to my F model 4 years ago.  There is no STC to do this.  It is a Mooney supplied upgrade kit that is already part of the type cert and just.requires a log book entry.  I was able to find used parts for around $400. At the time a new kit was unavailable, but the cost was around $3K when available.  They are a little time consuming to install, bending and routing all the lines.  If you want to see the drawings and what is involved I have an electronic copy I can email to you.

• Like 1

I too did CFI and CFII and both check rides without RH brakes.  That was with a number of instructors...all willing.  The key was briefing the fact ahead of time.  It is also one of the first things you "teach" when you get in the plane.  For short field you can request brakes and for taxi you do a positive handoff with appropriate responses.  In most cases, anybody transitioning to the Mooney knows how to use the brakes. Mir it were primary instruction, I would want RH brakes.  Just my 2 cents.