JPI 900 Installed

My shop charged me 34.2 hours of labor for the de-installation of the old devices and installation of the EDM-900 incl. the fuel gauges. This includes some extra work as the original fuel transducer didn't work and it had to be replaced with a new one. Some fittings of the original pack didn't fit either and had to be replaced...
If you're lucky and everything works out of the box, your shop should be able to install the EDM-900 in 30 hours.
Important: Make sure that you get a "snubber" with your kit and have it installed. Mine arrived in the meantime and I can't wait for my annual to have it installed...   :-)

Even replacing a 830, shops still consider it anew install I was told. (Primary et.)

Prices for the six cylinder, two tanks run as follows:

Spruce--$4164

Chief-----$4125

Sarasota Avionics--$4189

Price to install from Sarasota was $5100 (40 hours quoted)

Seems a bit pricey to me.

Best,

DH

Jpi offers considerable savings on these durring Oshkosh and Sun-n-Fun, and some of the retailers mentioned above will give discounts on top of that. The install doesn't require an avionics shop at $125 hr. It's simple enought that it can be done by a local mechanic who is willing to read the manual and follow it, or many owners would be able to do most if not all under his supervision. I probably spent around 30 hrs upgrading from the 830 to 900 and a couple of the harnesses and several of the sensors were the same part number and reused. We had to run a new wire to the outboard fuel sender on both side which probably accounted for 6 of the 30 hrs. The 900 4-cylinders with 2 tanks were selling for $2895 last year durring Sun N Fun.

Except that shops charge different bucks for the hour of labor, plus sales taxes/value added taxes differ mightily around the globe...
In the end  it's important to know how many hours the installation might take and even that varies a lot... - I have an old F model with the new 201 windshield and a tighter cowling... - plus the whole panel/avionics were modified a couple of times.
I cannot blame my shop at all for the hours it took, rather the opposite: I expected many more hours of labor, knowing the score...

My shop charged me 34.2 hours of labor for the de-installation of the old devices and installation of the EDM-900 incl. the fuel gauges. This includes some extra work as the original fuel transducer didn't work and it had to be replaced with a new one. Some fittings of the original pack didn't fit either and had to be replaced...

If you're lucky and everything works out of the box, your shop should be able to install the EDM-900 in 30 hours.

Important: Make sure that you get a "snubber" with your kit and have it installed. Mine arrived in the meantime and I can't wait for my annual to have it installed...   :-)

I think what you were charged was responsible. My mechanic struggled with the fuel tank calibration as well.