2015 New Mooney

Piloto

I for one love buying new cars. Its like sport to me. I go in fully armed with all info including all manufacturing holdbacks. I go end of month and toward end of day and wear em out. I've kept salesmen there until 9 and 10 pm and walked without a deal. Im a trial lawyer and even though I don't buy a new car every day I would venture to say I have the art and science of negotiation down a little better than your typical car salesman.

You are obviously ready to do battle, and by trade are probably very confrontational. The typical once every 5 to 7 year car buyer is not.

• 2 weeks later...

I for one love buying new cars. Its like sport to me. I go in fully armed with all info including all manufacturing holdbacks. I go end of month and toward end of day and wear em out. I've kept salesmen there until 9 and 10 pm and walked without a deal. Im a trial lawyer and even though I don't buy a new car every day I would venture to say I have the art and science of negotiation down a little better than your typical car salesman.

If you're talking with a salesman, you already lost half the battle. Buy from a fleet manager over email. 2014 Dodge Ram, sticker was $45,500, paid $35,000, never set a foot at the dealership until picking up car. Total time involvement: 5 emails, write one check, one FedEx pickup. About 2 months ago.

As to the new Acclaim, they must be high. Useful probably around 850lb, no keypad for data entry, no ESP, no second ADHRs, no airframe parachute, backup instruments in a weird place, narrow cabin width, small screens, terrible climate control, crappy TKS integration into the wing, no FLIR.

Did I mention a fully decked out G5 Cirrus will be about the same, and come with 1150lb useful load, with all above mentioned equipment available installed.

Granted the Mooney looks much better and always will.

• Like 1

Oohhh but it includes, towing it out of the hangar to the ramp, red carpet, a pouch a cap a key chain a relief bottle, a T-shirt, all with the Mooney logo, a handshake picture showing your $750K bill of sale and a Padre Bernardo blessing. 

José

hmmm...if you buy from Premier they'll promise all that and never show up to give you any of it. Caveat Emptor.

• Like 1

hmmm...if you buy from Premier they'll promise all that and never show up to give you any of it. Caveat Emptor.

Then I would have NO PROBLEM putting my checkbook back in my pocket and walking away. If you engage my patronage with any sort of agreement, be it verbal or written, you had better MAKE GOOD on it. Or expect to lose my business.

Does it burn Jet-A and cruise at 300kts on pressurization while carrying realistic people and bags on a trip?

I may be mistaken here but I'll pass in favor of something useful for that dollar handle.

Yeap, used french rockets are now available in almost that price range. When I was looking for a TBM, a few A models sold in the $800K price range still with about 1000 hours left to go on the PT6. There is at least one available for $1 million with zero since overhaul. Yeah, these prices are nuts for what essentially is a single person airplane. And I assure you, a 20 year old French Rocket is still a lot more reliable than a brand spanking new Acclaim.

• Like 1

I kinda love going car shopping. I work on, and build vehicles from scratch so when I'm buying I do my research and know what I'm looking at. Most car salesman dont really know much about cars, and especially trucks. I was helping a friend buy a car a while back and we noticed that the sticker on the window stated 19" performance wheel package, we look at the tires and see that they are 18s. The poor girl selling the car tried to tell us they put 18" tires on 19" wheels. It was funny. Sometimes it can be a real headache though. Just like buying anything you can get good sellers and bad. Some of the best I have dealt with are actually used car salesmen. When I bought my pickup I walked onto the lot, pointed at the truck, the guy handed me the keys and said have fun. An hour later I drove it home at a price I was happy with. 

If the past is any indication of the future it appears a new Acclaim will depreciate 45% or approximtely $50,000 per year for the first 7 years. I would imagine you would have to be some sort of business owner looking for one hell of a tax write off to buy one of those things new given the depreciation?