Resurrecting an M20

Ok, you might enjoy this.....

While checking out local airports, I ran across a mooney that has been sitting- for a long time.

Does anyone have any horror stories about trying to bring life to a plane that has been sitting for a number of years?

Where would you start - after scraping off all the bird droppings (while wearing ppd) and chasing away the live animals?

If i find that the engine is good- assiming everything flexible under the cowl needs replacing, I might consider this project.

Please talk me out of this, or share your success story.

Thanks,

Rob

It will have to be a labor of love.... as in you love spending time doing it and don't expect to get more than $1/hr for your labor when it comes time to sell!  It will be even worse if you are not an A&P/IA and have to pay someone to sign-off your work.

I'd encourage anyone to go for it as I hate to see any plane rot away to nothing since they aren't making many anymore, but just don't expect it to be a money-maker for you unless you get the plane for free.  If you love doing that kind of work, and plan to keep/fly it when finished, then it might very well be worth it.

I would approach a restoration project in the same way I would approach the idea of building an airplane from scratch. Either way, it's going to take a time and, in all probability, more money overall than it would cost to buy a working airplane. To me, the decision would be between building "my" ideal airplane versus being able to fly right now. If what you really want is to fly, I don't think a full-on restoration is the way to go. You might be better off buying an airworthy airplane that needs a little TLC so that you can restore it a bit at a time while still having a flyable airplane.

Why? I am guessing this is a pre 1980s model. Per your description it needs paint and interior, avionics, overhaul, and major TLC. Check the asking prices for the year/model, subtract at least $60k going in. IF there is anything left write it off as your time/labor. What you will have is your personal satisfaction in a job well done (maybe a year from now).

Probably the reason it is abandoned now. Best thing you could do is work with the owner to donate it to a maintenance school that potential new A&Ps can learn from.

TomK

Before buying my current Mooney I built a Cozy IV.  What I learned from that experience is there are two types of airplane people.  Builders and flyers....and almost no builder/flyers.  I got about 2/3 the way through the project and even though it was a blast building, I'd had enough.  I'm a flyer.  If your in that camp, pass on the basket case unless the owner all but gives it to you.  My 2 cnts

I have seen an M20G rescued from the weeds after a decade of collecting rain....

The plane was bought at auction and the new owners two employees were put to work cleaning and stripping.  After it flew off the field, I believe, it's first stop was engine overhaul.  It was in dire need of radios and many other things.

I agree with George, I would be in the flyer camp.

-a-

I do hate to see something waste away... It does have digital radios and an HSI to go with an interior that is better than some I have seen for sale. The big challenge is what I am limited to doing not being an A&P, and unlike the Landrover that I rebuilt with my son, this  spends time in the air, so it has to be perfect!

I have the owners name and address. I am really just curious as to why it has sat. The FBO joked  that he may pay me to take it off his hands just to not have to pay the tiedown fees that he has been paying all these years.

I am not going to stop looking for a Mooney, but wont cross off this option yet. Kind of like walking into a mystery that I need to find the answer to.

The very first step would  be a corrosion inspection. That would quickly quell my interest.

Rob

From your last post it sounds like you enjoy a good mechanical challenge. There are many A&P mechanics, like myself, that like helping people restore an airplane. At the last airport I lived on I helped a young Marine restore his much loved Grumman AA-1B, it was done over the span of a couple years, and came out great. I did not charge him anything as the money,I felt, was better spent on parts. If you are interested in Mooney airplanes you must read and understand SB208. Any airplane you are looking at should have that inspection done FIRST. There is nothing stopping an owner/pilot from doing the inspection part themselves. All Mooney service bulletins are downloadable from Mooney aircrafts website. Good luck with your quest for ownership.

Guest Anonymous

All of the above is good advice.  However, I am surprised that nobody has mentioned corrosion.  It is the one thing that would stop me from considereing a renovation job.  Almost everthing else can be fixed for a price, either dollars or sweat.  Severe enough corrosion, however, can make an airframe totally worthless.  It is also the fastest way that a sitting airplane ages if left outside.  You are in the northern parts of the country, where the moisture and humidity in the summer make a perfect set of conditions for rapid corrosion onset.

RFB

rturbett,

Are you reffering to the mooney at D38?  That has been sitting a long time and supposely tied up in an estate.  I am not a mechanic or A/P, but I believe that would be a hugh product.  Story is the owners son flew it about four years ago and it has sat since.

I have an empty hangar at D38 if you decide to do this project.

PM me if you want to discuss more.

Erik

You have got to cal me on this one.  I am just in the final stages of rebuilding/modernizing a 1968 F model that sat in a hager mostly disassembled for 28 years.   I can give you some guidance and some war stories.

You can e-mail me at johnabreda@yahoo.com  Send me your cell numbar and I give you a call.  Where are you located?

John Breda

You have got to call me on this one.  I am just in the final stages of rebuilding/modernizing a 1968 F model that sat in a hanger mostly disassembled for 28 years.   I can give you some guidance and some war stories.

You can e-mail me at johnabreda@yahoo.com  Send me your cell numbar and I give you a call.  Where are you located?

John Breda