Bravo

GaryP1007

Just starting to explore the possibility of a Bravo.  Saw this on Controller.....

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/MOONEY-M20M-BRAVO/1990-MOONEY-M20M-BRAVO/1267105.htm

I go back and forth between a solid J or something more.  A good dilemma to have as we sit through the BLIZZARD.

That's a great price if the engine checks out good. I'd fly it and drain the oil as part of prepurchase to look for metal. Other big expenses I'd check the engine mount of chafing, make sure the oxygen system is not timed out, speed brakes work. But then at 120k throwing another 20k at it would not be a big deal.

Bravo can be almost as economical as a J burn wise if you're willing to throttle back. I just flew back from CO to IA at 15,000, burning 14 at 175 true. Could have slowed down 165 on 12gph. Where the plane rocks in heading west bound, where I can burn the fuel to actually make some headway against a 50 knot wind.

Just letting you know, once you fly a turbo there is no going back. Bravo exceeds the poh in every department, climb rates of 1400 are norm, cruise climbs at 120 exceed 900fpm and just never stops all the way to fl180.

If you buy it, you fly it high, there is something amazing in sitting at 15000 bump free, traffic free, very few calls from center, just a more relaxed way of flying.

If the speed brakes don't work, let me know, they are no longer supported by precise flight (vacuum), but I know where to get all the parts to make them work. Just some bearings, a valve and bellow.

I might just buy it as a spare;-) Actually, I bet the useful load on this plane is close to 1000lb since it doesn't have TKS only a hot prop. A real, 400nm four seater.

I looked over the logbooks, seems to me that while maintenance was fairly light over the years, the things that count got replaced at last annual, oxygen cylinder and regulator, turbo, etc.

If the engine actually checks out, this is the best high performance deal in the country, bar none. 200knots in a younger airframe for $130K, amazing.

Like I said, the key here is the engine. It was a field overhaul/assembly with new cylinders. Which I guess is opposite of mine, one of the better known shops with old cylinders ;-)

in 1990 it is actually a tls with bravo conversion (wet head) early conversions had a problem with i believe hose size.

I believe all the conversions have been done in north america. I ran across one in europe that hadn't been done.

As always A THOUGH PREBY.

GaryP,

The only thing I would suggest to you is to have someone check the crankshaft serial number.  The crank should not be listed in SB 569A but if it is you will need to comply with the bulletin.  I have owned a Bravo for 9 years and enjoy traveling with it.  Last year flew all the way around the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean.  Good Luck!

The logs for this aircraft are posted online at the broker's web site.  I would review them thoroughly before considering an offer.  I took a quick look and noticed the following:

- Several wing skins replaced in the 1990's -- Why?

- When was the engine actually overhauled (if ever)?  There is an entry from Dec 2001 that sounds like a field overhaul, but the log sign-off does not state this specifically.  Also, this entry does not include an engine total time, but it would appear that at least 1000 hours have accumulated on the airframe since then.