lubricating retractable step

just an fyi, you should use tri-flow lube.  My step was failing to extend after turning off the engine.  It felt gritty, so I applied grease.  It felt better but still stuck in the up position.  I read the service manual and it recommended tri-flow.  I cleaned off the old grease.  It contained bits of sand, grit and probably paint.  I think it formed a goo in the guides.

anyway, test flew today and i finally heard the "thunk" of it dropping.   :D

I had the same problem with my previous M20C. I found out that the culprit of the problem is the oil lubricant itself. I cleaned the step with MEK and sprayed with silicon lubricant. Never had the prblem again. Unlike oil based lubricants silicon lubricants do not attract dirt.

José

• Like 1

For what its worth. The step is chromed plated and should slide up and down without any lubrication. When I purchased my 66E two years ago I cleaned the shaft totally,and made sure the cables inside were not kinked. Works like a charm.

that sheds some light on my situation.  My plane was painted (late 90's?), and they included the lower portion of the bar that could be seen from the outside.  The upper portion inside the plane is still unpainted.  I bet that's why it was more prone to sticking.  If this happens again, I may try to have the paint removed if it's supposed to be chromed.

For what its worth. The step is chromed plated and should slide up and down without any lubrication. When I purchased my 66E two years ago I cleaned the shaft totally,and made sure the cables inside were not kinked. Works like a charm.

Maybe it is on some, but not all--my '67F doesn't have a chrome-plated step (it's painted), and even where the paint is worn through there aren't any signs of chrome plating.