panel mess advice

HRM

Below is a picture of the toggles to the left (pilot side) of my panel. The red circle on the left shows a socket that was installed in the toggle for the marker beacon. They routed the wire from the PTT switch on the yoke out from behind the panel such that the plug could go into the socket. A black twist tie secures the wire to the plug.

Next to it, circled on the right, is a toggle for the strobes. Since that toggle was smaller than the original ones, they fashioned a square piece of metal with a hole in it to hold it in.

OK, I don't like either of these.

1) Can I get a Mooney toggle (like the others) and replace the strobes toggle?

3) Can I pull the plug on the PTT and just move it under the panel?

When I say "can I", I mean me, myself and I; i.e., w/o an A&P (sorry for all the I's).

post-430-13468137745888_thumb.jpg

Quote: HRM

I have never really been clear on how that works. For example, so I just pull the old toggle out, put in the new one (I have a PhD in EE and built my first radio when I was 10 so I know my way around wires), verify everything still works and then call an A&P to come look and verify? Do I pay them? Is it typically by the hour? 

Or, do they stand and watch while I do this? 

Since one of the two previous owners did this or had this done, should there not be an entry in the logs somewhere?

This is getting clearer:

What is Preventative Maintenance?

"Preventive maintenance" means:

simple or minor preservation operations and the replacement of small standard parts not involving complex assembly operations.

So, I think it is fair to say that a toggle switch is a "small standard part" (there are a bunch of them in the cockpit) and I would not consider a bezel nut a complex assembly; but there's the rub, eh? How does one decide what is and is not a "minor preservation operation" or a "small standard part" or a "complex assembly operation"?

I can only speak for myself but I would simply go over what you intend to do and how you will go about it. AC43.13 1B2B covers all maint and the standards it should be accomplished with, in this case wire sizes and the way you attach them to the switch. They are cheap somewhere in the area of $17. The work should be looked at to verify it is done IAW the standards I referanced. I  would not charge anything for the 5 min of time, if I was closer I would do it for ya. If you have a JC in the area with a A&P program you might find someone that already has there A that is willing to work with you.

Quote: HRM

This is getting clearer:

What is Preventative Maintenance?

"Preventive maintenance" means:

simple or minor preservation operations and the replacement of small standard parts not involving complex assembly operations.

So, I think it is fair to say that a toggle switch is a "small standard part" (there are a bunch of them in the cockpit) and I would not consider a bezel nut a complex assembly; but there's the rub, eh? How does one decide what is and is not a "minor preservation operation" or a "small standard part" or a "complex assembly operation"?

Quote: Mooney65E

Harley,

The switches are also breakers...let me know what amperage you'll need.

I'll remember to pick them up next time I'm at the hanger. Our hanger is an hour from our house.

I wish I could fly there.

Small challenge to take a look at....

It is only a bezel nut on the front.  On the back, look for a common "rigid" electrical bus bar connecting one breaker switch to the neighboring breaker switches.  You may be busy behind the panel for a little while longer.  Still very easy, but take a look.  Short screw driver and a removed pilot seat might be your only access.  It is somewhat difficult to get to from above.  (try both from above and from below...)