Post lights

flyboy0681

No moisture, the plane is hangared and hasn't flown in precip in recent history.

I compared the original one with the new one (as I scratched my head wondering why it cost $10) and they had the same specs.

The fuse didn't immediately blow, it took about 10 minutes of use.

There are 2 basic possibilities:

1) Fuse is too small. Measure the current with an ammeter, compare to fuse rating and wiring diagram. Compare to what is reasonable. Without measuring mine, I would think the lights should draw no more than 1 or 2 amps tops.

2) An intermittant short. That's harder to find, and involves visually inspecting all of the wiring in the circuit. My shop found a short in my compass light wire where it had been squashed in the mounting of the compass to the tube frame.

Larry

Do you have two separate dimmers, one for the post lights and one for the glare shield lights?

I'm assuming you do and since you specified the post lights are blowing the fuse that the glare shield lights do NOT blow the fuse when the post light dimmer is off.

The easy things to check first are frayed insulation on the wire going to the compass and the wire going to the glare shield.

There are a couple of trouble shooting things you can do on the ground; you can solder wires and pins to a circuit breaker (same or lower rating than the fuse) OR a lamp while you are wiggling wires and lamp bases around. A dead short will make the lamp that replaced the fuse light up, or, if you put in the breaker, the breaker will pop and it won't cost $10 to reset it.

Once every thousand years or so you will find a bulb that shorts internally when the filament blows. If you can't find anything else you can check each bulb in the post lights that you can R&R. in most airplanes the post light circuit is also connected to some internally lighted instruments which is an additional complication.

Trouble shooting with those blasted fuses at $10 a pop is expensive. Try the circuit breaker for trouble shooting. There is no real magic to this; it's just systematic step by step trouble shooting. Even if you give up and take it to the shop you will be able to tell them what you already checked.