M20J: What speed do you flight plan?

M20J Drivers, what speed do you flight plan for?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. M20J Drivers, what speed do you flight plan for?

• 6 months later...

<p>I have the LoPresti cowl, Powerflow exhaust, smooth one piece belly, the usual minor speed mods, new highly polished paint, minimal antennas,  and a two blade "Top Prop".  I flight plan 160 Kts at 6500' to 8500', with ram air open, and 10.5 gallons/hour fuel flow. That is with just me in the aircraft, generally working from full fuel at take-off, and about 100 lbs in the baggage compartment (mostly to move the CG aft). The rigging is good - flys well hands off - but looks a bit goofy with both ailerons slightly up in level flight.  I had an aircraft that reflexed its flaps up 10 degrees in level flight which brought about a 5 kt increase in speed, so maybe I am having a bit of this same effect in level flight with the ailerons up a bit. This number (160 Kts) has proved itself on many trips, and when flying the four cardinal headings in smooth air and averaging the four resultant speeds. Still, Knute's E model with smooth belly, 201 windshield, modified cowl, and smooth paint, can generally more than keep up with me. We have flown parallel a number of times, and there is very little speed differential between the aircraft. </p>

Bennett, I also have the same setup and mods. My ailerons were also up in cruise which I didn't like. On my recent engine change the ailerons were lowered. It seems a bit faster now but not sure since I'm running higher power and 100 ROP mixture. I wish it was faster like 170 knots with all the mods. I'm not sure if Lopresti cowl is increasing speed.

at 8-9K 158Kts if I wanna run hard 2600-2650 peak---somewhere in the mid 9gph maybe 9.7gph can remember. might be a few degrees ROP. CHT375

or most likley 150Kts at 8.3-8.7GPH----10 LOP or somewhere there abouts. CHT 355

When I take of at 800 feet, I immediatly bring fuel flow back from 17.7gph to 10.6gph which is about 30-40 LOP for the climb at 110Kts at 600fpm, I don't hardly have to touch the mixture contol at all on the way up, maybe just move it 1/8 of a inch leaner after 3000K feet. Fuel flow automaticly decreases some to keep it LOP. EASY!!!!! 30% better gas mileage in the climb and my oil looks really good at 30 hours. Change at 40.....

If i feel like wasting gas and contaminating my oil I climb at 1275-1300 ROP target EGT at 120Kts and 600-700FPM.

TRIVIA----guess which mixture operation keep the chts the lowest during climb with cowl flaps in trail???? Answer: LOP---345-350 ROP 360ish.....