Brittain acutrak

Any good shops out there that know how to tune this relic up. Mine works but does not track nav very good anymore. I know I’m a CB so I don’t want to spend 20k plus on a new autopilot.

39 minutes ago, hoot777 said:

Any good shops out there that know how to tune this relic up. Mine works but does not track nav very good anymore. I know I’m a CB so I don’t want to spend 20k plus on a new autopilot.

Kevin is THE man for these things.  He worked at Brittain and will get this working for you.

1 hour ago, hoot777 said:

yes, Kevin Westbrook,

I just realized last flight how much I like my brittain, it just isn't horrible.   if i had altitude hold, i probably wouldn't be waiting on trutrak

1 hour ago, McMooney said:

yes, Kevin Westbrook,

I just realized last flight how much I like my brittain, it just isn't horrible.   if i had altitude hold, i probably wouldn't be waiting on trutrak

I added altitude hold to mine a few years ago and love it. I think I have some parts for a second system available for sale if you are willing to scrounge the remaining oddball parts  and do the install. Brittain was still providing STC papers as of a year or so ago. 

Hi @takair,

Noted you said “added” brittain altitude hold.

What is the year and make of the Mooney you modified. I have a 1966 M20E that has the basic wing leveler, but have been collecting parts and knowledge (Kevin Westbrook is a treasure) for planned a B-11 and B-12 upgrade.

I am not familiar with the STCs but curious if altitude hold is possible for mine (via STC) or of that was only on the later 201’s?

Thanks,
Z

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 65E has  alt hold so not just Js. Kevin is at five 3 niner, two niner two, ofour 7 four. He overhauled mine too.

26 minutes ago, Zippy_Bird said:

Hi @takair,

Noted you said “added” brittain altitude hold.

What is the year and make of the Mooney you modified. I have a 1966 M20E that has the basic wing leveler, but have been collecting parts and knowledge (Kevin Westbrook is a treasure) for planned a B-11 and B-12 upgrade.

I am not familiar with the STCs but curious if altitude hold is possible for mine (via STC) or of that was only on the later 201’s?

Thanks,
Z

Mine is a 64. 

Hi @hoot777,

Also worth mentioning that Kevin Westbrook has come to an agreement with Porter-Strait instruments of Tulsa Oklahoma to allow rebuilding of instruments at that facility resulting in a “yellow tagged” final product. So in your case, he can service that b-11 head and provide the proper paper trail. This is for an additional cost to you, but in my opinion is reasonable. For me, my AP/IA is by-the-book. Therefore, as I move forward upgrading I’ll be running my used parts down this path, so everyone stays happy!

Hope you and others find this information helpful!

Cheers,
Z

• Like 3

The filters for the Brittain system can be any of the below Fram filters. The physical sizes are all the same, the filter media is the same. The difference is if there are clamps supplied, what type, and if the end is barbed or not. The G12 is just a filter, with no clamps or hose, and costs the most. These prices are current at Blain's Farm & Fleet.

albert

Fram Filters.JPG

Fram G12.JPG

Fram G2.JPG

Fram G1.JPG

3 hours ago, Hank said:

But what hose does it take? Last time I looked, I couldn’t find the right size. Probably need to change the hose and filter both.

Per recommendations, I bought a spool of Gates 27043.  It's 7/32".  I haven't tried it on the inlet fitting yet; for the inlet, about 14" of hose.  Brittain used the blue silicone hose about 15 years ago but it slips off without a clamp and it's tough to get a clamp on that fitting.  It's a little too large.  I may try the 7/32" hose soon; I've got a filter and some hose on the bench.  

• Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 3:27 PM, Hank said:

But what hose does it take? Last time I looked, I couldn’t find the right size. Probably need to change the hose and filter both.

Tried the 7/32” ID Gates 27043 hose today.  It snugs up well on the short barbed turn coordinator fittings.  1/4” is too big and will slip off.   My TC may have been sucking dirty air for a while.  7/32” will be tight going on the modified Fram filter.  

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, DCarlton said:

Tried the 7/32” ID Gates 27043 hose today.  It snugs up well on the short barbed turn coordinator fittings.  1/4” is too big and will slip off.   My TC may have been sucking dirty air for a while.  7/32” will be tight going on the modified Fram filter.  

I just replaced all of the black silicone “surgical” tubing with Gates 27043 per the recommendation of a certain former Brittain tech. The install was pretty easy including filters. The only benefit to old surgical style tubing is that it has almost not rigidity. It’s like a well cooked piece of Bucatini and can make an almost infinite number of turns and curves in a tight panel space. The gates is somewhat rigid and one turn will affect a previous turn. Took a bit more tinkering with clamps and zip ties to ensure proper orientation than the old stuff.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

I just replaced all of the black silicon “surgical” tubing with Gates 27043 per the recommendation of a certain former Brittain tech. The install was pretty easy including filters. The only benefit to old surgical style tubing is that it has almost not rigidity. It’s like a well cooked piece of Bucatini and can make an almost infinite number of turns and curves in a tight panel space. The gates is somewhat rigid and one turn will affect the turn. Took a bit more tinkering with clamps and zip ties to ensure proper orientation than the old stuff.

Ys.  Purchased a reel of 27043 on Amazon.  VERY reasonable price.

• Like 2

On 3/10/2024 at 5:25 PM, Zippy_Bird said:

Hi @hoot777,

Also worth mentioning that Kevin Westbrook has come to an agreement with Porter-Strait instruments of Tulsa Oklahoma to allow rebuilding of instruments at that facility resulting in a “yellow tagged” final product. So in your case, he can service that b-11 head and provide the proper paper trail. This is for an additional cost to you, but in my opinion is reasonable. For me, my AP/IA is by-the-book. Therefore, as I move forward upgrading I’ll be running my used parts down this path, so everyone stays happy!

Hope you and others find this information helpful!

Cheers,
Z

I'm very tempted to get my Turn Coordinator overhauled now if Porter-Strait will do it.  Would be nice to get it done while there's an expert to do it.  

28 minutes ago, DCarlton said:

I'm very tempted to get my Turn Coordinator overhauled now if Porter-Strait will do it.  Would be nice to get it done while there's an expert to do it.  

Most shops can OH that turn coordinator. But it’s nice to have an ex Brittain guy doing the work.

• Like 1

I have no doubt most shops can overhaul the gyro part of a Brittain TC.  Less sure about the shuttle valves and associated roll trim mechanism inside that device, though my guess is it's not complicated machinery.

Our Brittain TC requires nearly full right roll trim for the wings to actually stay level, and we've contemplated "doing something" about that for a long time.  We've verified rigging (airplane stays wings level in in still air with balanced fuel tanks and PC disabled), and we've also verified good vacuum hold on both the "left" and "right" tubing systems that connect to the TC, via a test rig.  So the off-center problem has got to be in the TC itself.  Haven't done anything about it because it's not really a serious issue.  But the TC hasn't been out of the panel in at least 30 years (per notes from prior owner) and nothing lasts forever.  Good to know there is, at least at the moment, a specialty shop that deals in these things.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vance Harral said:

I have no doubt most shops can overhaul the gyro part of a Brittain TC.  Less sure about the shuttle valves and associated roll trim mechanism inside that device, though my guess is it's not complicated machinery.

Our Brittain TC requires nearly full right roll trim for the wings to actually stay level, and we've contemplated "doing something" about that for a long time.  We've verified rigging (airplane stays wings level in in still air with balanced fuel tanks and PC disabled), and we've also verified good vacuum hold on both the "left" and "right" tubing systems that connect to the TC, via a test rig.  So the off-center problem has got to be in the TC itself.  Haven't done anything about it because it's not really a serious issue.  But the TC hasn't been out of the panel in at least 30 years (per notes from prior owner) and nothing lasts forever.  Good to know there is, at least at the moment, a specialty shop that deals in these things.

Kevin rebuilt my tail mounted Brittain gyro a year or two ago. Should be good for another 50 years.

8 hours ago, Vance Harral said:

I had my TC overhauled by AQI a month ago because I did not know about Kevin and Porter Straight. I certainly would have had him do it had I known. Nevertheless, it was returned with an 8130 labeled as overhauled. 

8 hours ago, Vance Harral said:

this was caused by a leak in one of my servos, bike patch and some electrical tape took care of it for a bit.

then had to beg and plead to find a replacement.   really wish i could remember who sent me the servo boot, i could really use more

10 hours ago, McMooney said:

this was caused by a leak in one of my servos, bike patch and some electrical tape took care of it for a bit.

then had to beg and plead to find a replacement.   really wish i could remember who sent me the servo boot, i could really use more

Ebay is your friend in this department.  There are servos there to be had.