Which Mooney?

I am new to this Forum, sold my Diamond DA42 last month and I am looking into Mooney's now as probably my next bird.

First of all I am confused about the different models. Is there somewhere a list of types/models/modifications etc.?

I am looking into the newer ones. My mission are mostly cross-country flights in Europe. Flying mostly alone.
For flights with familiy my plan is to rent (DA62).

Specs would be:

150+ knots
Turbo
FIKI
Modern Avionics

Any recommendation is welcome...

• The mid body K models are turbo, and many have had modern avionics installed but I'm not sure about FIKI.  The Bravo, M20M, is turbocharged and available with FIKI.  Again, many have nice, modern avionics.  As #Brandt stated, the Acclaims are the newest, available with FIKI, and are the fastest.  
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Wilfred said:

I am new to this Forum, sold my Diamond DA42 last month and I am looking into Mooney's now as probably my next bird.

First of all I am confused about the different models. Is there somewhere a list of types/models/modifications etc.?

I am looking into the newer ones. My mission are mostly cross-country flights in Europe. Flying mostly alone.

Specs would be:

150+ knots
Turbo
FIKI
Modern Avionics

Most of the Mooney models can do 150 knots.  The real filters on your search are the other three.  As far as I know, the only factory turbocharged Mooneys are:
M20K (TCM TSIO-360)
     Encore
M20M (Lyc TIO-540)
M20TN (TCM TSIO-550)
M20V (TCM TSIO-550)

There are a few aftermarket turbochargers.
Someone else will fill in the FIKI info.

EDIT:  Further search reveals that the first FIKI in the list above was the Encore, but there were so few, it is probably not a contender.

There are FIKI Acclaims, Bravos and Encores, the Acclaim is the latest and fastest, Continental engine, best cowl, best propeller, Bravo Lycoming engine, sodium cooled exhaust valves, oil cooled exhaust valve guides, Encore last made in 98, small bore conti, best overall airframe engine balance, they each have their pros and cons, Conti versus Lyc semi religious question like mercedes versus Beemer or Chevy versus Ford, think at least 80% of all birds are us registered

The only FIKI-eligible Mooneys are

1. Encore (M20K Mid body Continental TSIO 360 175KTS, 12GPH, 75G fuel)
  2. Bravo (M20M Long body, Lycoming TIO 540, 190 KTS, 20ish GPH, 89G fuel)
  3. Ovation (M20R Long body, Continental IO 550, 175 KTS, 13ish GPH, 89G fuel)
  4. Acclaim (M20TN Long body, Continental TSIO 550, 210 KTS, 16-17GPH, 100G fuel)

All are solid choices. I own an Acclaim and think a FIKI Encore is the best plane Mooney ever made.

-dan

Are you sure that FIKI cannot be installed on other models?  Those are the ones that were available with FIKI from the factory.

FYI, Encore is 175 knots on about 10 GPH.  At least my 252 that is converted to Encore specs.

To the OP, the list in Wikipedia of the models is pretty good.

45 minutes ago, Pinecone said:

Are you sure that FIKI cannot be installed on other models?  Those are the ones that were available with FIKI from the factory.

FYI, Encore is 175 knots on about 10 GPH.  At least my 252 that is converted to Encore specs.

You can retrofit a K, M, R, S, or TN with FIKI

https://www.cav-systems.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/TKS-Mooney-M20-FIKI-Specification-2019-2.pdf

1 hour ago, Pinecone said:

Yes, those are the only FIKI-Eligible models.  Among other things, a 28V electric system is a requirement.  Dunno if the late “J” models wer 14 or 24, but AFAIK, they are ineligible for FIKI.

-dan

edit…. 28V 252’s are eligible for FIKI, but that plane would have a very low useful load.

Edited by exM20K

32 minutes ago, toto said:

Only the 252 and Encore, not the 231.  That 14V system was working pretty hard on mine.  It’s probably better, now, with advanced avionics and LED lights.

-dan

Edited by exM20K

5 hours ago, exM20K said:

The only FIKI-eligible Mooneys are

1. Encore (M20K Mid body Continental TSIO 360 175KTS, 12GPH, 75G fuel)
  2. Bravo (M20M Long body, Lycoming TIO 540, 190 KTS, 20ish GPH, 89G fuel)
  3. Ovation (M20R Long body, Continental IO 550, 175 KTS, 13ish GPH, 89G fuel)
  4. Acclaim (M20TN Long body, Continental TSIO 550, 210 KTS, 16-17GPH, 100G fuel)

All are solid choices. I own an Acclaim and think a FIKI Encore is the best plane Mooney ever made.

-dan

Bravo (M20M Long body, Lycoming TIO 540, 190 KTS, 20ish GPH, 89G fuel)

Also Bravo (M20M Long body, Lycoming TIO 540, 170 KTS, 14.5 GPH, 118G fuel)

16 hours ago, exM20K said:

Yes, those are the only FIKI-Eligible models.  Among other things, a 28V electric system is a requirement.  Dunno if the late “J” models wer 14 or 24, but AFAIK, they are ineligible for FIKI.

-dan

edit…. 28V 252’s are eligible for FIKI, but that plane would have a very low useful load.

OK.

Encore upgrade adds 230 pound GW increase. :D

On 2/27/2024 at 6:44 AM, Wilfred said:

Specs would be:

150+ knots
Turbo
FIKI
Modern Avionics

Curious why you consider switching, aren't those Austros perfect for Europe? 

• Like 1