Another Just sorry he was in a Mooney - can't fly IFR because iPad died

It seemed to me he was being deceptive about having an IFR capable GPS.   Otherwise why would he have such difficulty loading the approach and selecting the IAF the controller assigned.   Also, if you don’t really have a gps then when your IPad dies why not ask for a ILS, Localizer or VOR approach?   ATC could vector you to intercept the final approach course.  Shouldn’t be that difficult. 

I wonder if all the Nav equipment in the plane was INOP and the IPad was his only method of navigation.   It seems that way.  

1 hour ago, Utah20Gflyer said:

It seemed to me he was being deceptive about having an IFR capable GPS.   Otherwise why would he have such difficulty loading the approach and selecting the IAF the controller assigned.  

According to the sales listing the airplane had a GNS430W.  What we don't know is who was flying it. If, as some suppose, the pilot wasn't instrument rated, he may not have known how to use much of anything other than Direct on his iPad. The inability to follow the simplest ATC instructions suggests something more than iPad failure was going on.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Hank said:

I just go to the youtube address bar, right click, Copy; then come here and ctrl-V and it first pastes in the address and updates to the thumbnail.

Interesting - when I posted this yesterday, it gave me an error saying YouTube doesn't allow embedding videos so it couldn't add the preview. And guess what - it works today <_<

1 hour ago, Utah20Gflyer said:

It seemed to me he was being deceptive about having an IFR capable GPS.   Otherwise why would he have such difficulty loading the approach and selecting the IAF the controller assigned.  

I think you would be surprised by the number of perfectly capable IFR GPS navigators in airplanes that don't really get used because the pilot doesn't know what buttons to push.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, midlifeflyer said:

According to the sales listing the airplane had a GNS430W.  What we don't know is who was flying it. If, as some suppose, the pilot wasn't instrument rated, he may not have known how to use much of anything other than Direct on his iPad. The inability to follow the simplest ATC instructions suggests something more than iPad failure was going on.

Agree. My guess is he was a VFR pilot who inadvertently ended up in IMC. But didn't want to declare emergency to get out - which is the unfortunate part. He was taking vectors clearly so likely using AP to its fullest potential.

3 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

The hypothesis of not being instrument rated is plausible.   His inability to fly assigned headings would be further evidence of this.  That’s ballsy to ask for an IFR clearance without an instrument rating though,  not something I would do but there are people much different than me who might.   

It could also be that his Garmin 430 was INOP for some reason and he was not instrument proficient.  Whatever the exact scenario,  this was a complete cluster and this guy wasn’t being honest about it.  It made it a lot more difficult for the controller to help him properly and put himself and his passengers in danger.  I hope this experience was a wake up call for him.  

14 hours ago, 1980Mooney said:

Do you have the sales listing?  And date that it was advertised?

I can’t locate it now. There’s a 10 year old description right here on MooneySpace. I think the one I saw may have been more recent, since the airplane was transferred around the time of this incident.

https://www.flightaware.com/resources/registration/N7183V

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2024 at 11:35 AM, Utah20Gflyer said:

It seemed to me he was being deceptive about having an IFR capable GPS.   Otherwise why would he have such difficulty loading the approach and selecting the IAF the controller assigned.   Also, if you don’t really have a gps then when your IPad dies why not ask for a ILS, Localizer or VOR approach?   ATC could vector you to intercept the final approach course.  Shouldn’t be that difficult. 

I wonder if all the Nav equipment in the plane was INOP and the IPad was his only method of navigation.   It seems that way.  

This incident occurred on 09/29/2023 at the end of a flight from Gallatin, TN KXNX to Martinsburg, WV KMRB. Current owner who is instrument rated was registered as owner on 10/31/2023 and is based in Winfield, LA.  Previous owner was based in Gallatin, TN (where the incident flight originated) and does not show an Instrument rating in the FAA data base. 
plane flew home back to TN the day after the incident. Looks like one other short hop (perhaps a test flight for new seller) before repoing to LA on 10/15/2023.