Is a fuel selector valve rebuildable?

Hey everyone, question regarding the options to repair/replace a leaking fuel selector valve. 1967 M20E.

From my research today it sounds like the first step is differentiating whether it's coming from the sump with the ring which you pull to drain, or the actual left/right/off position handle. We think it's coming from the actual selector handle and not the sump, and I've been reading that these are not overhaul-able? Whereas the sump drain is?

Can anyone confirm or give some guidance on this? Does LASAR have a kit with the O rings to replace on the selector itself? Possibly a fix is to have our mechanic take it apart, clean, and reassemble with new O rings? Are new ones available, and from where?

What did that run you for cost to send it in? 

Did you disassemble it yourself to send it in? What's the best way to access it? Do you gotta remove belly panels and crawl underneath?

Edited by ArrowBerry

I actually went to Maxwells to have them do it. 5 hrs w RnR and I was out with < $600. You could remove it and send it to Maxwells for overhaul. They do that quite often. Maxwells is only a 50 minute flight from my hanger @ KHQZ so, it was easier to take it to them…

-Don

4 hours ago, hammdo said:

On my fuel selector, Maxwells replaced the pull ring for a Curtis…

IMG_0239.jpeg

So you manually drain the sump from the outside?  No pull ring inside?  I worry about that pull to drain valve not seating every time I pull it.  I guess it doesn't happen though or it would be a major issue.  

Yes manually drain outside. No pull ring at all!

22 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Man, that's gonna cost ya, like, three knots...

At least 3 but I make it up by waxing the plane ;o)

-Don

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks everyone for the pictures and posts of interest to read. I've been educating myself on this today, it's amazing how much we take for granted when systems work! Nevertheless, I never learn so much about something as I do when its broken lol

Anyways, we took the panel off the bottom today. It looks like there is some seepage and blue dye at the top where it would go through the floor, likely how we noticed it. And also a small amount where the RH wing fuel line comes into the selector. There was a very old sticker on it which identified it as an A&E selector, but no readable part or serial number. 

I've reached out to LASAR about this seal kit, whether it's the correct one, and the costs associated with rebuilding it here with the kit or just sending it in and having them make it like new! https://lasar.com/seal-kits/complete-seal-kit-drawing-for-he769-fuel-selectorgascolator-he-fuel-selector-seal-kit-complete?rq=fuel selector seal

IMG_1628.jpeg

IMG_1627.jpeg

When you remove it have two cap plugs available. Remove the pointer, the ring and the output tube. With the selector in the off position. Next, unscrew it from the floor. Them unscrew one feed line B nut while pushing the tube against the fitting. When you have the nut slid back, quickly pull the tube away fron the selector, push the selector aside and push the cap plug into the tube to stop the fuel flow, then screw the B nut onto the cap plug. Repeat with the other tube. Just remember that when you remove the second tube, the selector will de unsupported. It is one of those three handed jobs.

6 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

When you remove it have two cap plugs available. Remove the pointer, the ring and the output tube. With the selector in the off position. Next, unscrew it from the floor. Them unscrew one feed line B nut while pushing the tube against the fitting. When you have the nut slid back, quickly pull the tube away fron the selector, push the selector aside and push the cap plug into the tube to stop the fuel flow, then screw the B nut onto the cap plug. Repeat with the other tube. Just remember that when you remove the second tube, the selector will de unsupported. It is one of those three handed jobs.

Okay I understand the output tube, going to the fuel pump. Which parts are the pointer and the ring?

Without a cap plug, would another option be to drain the fuel into a clean pail from each tank as you remove the feed line for that side?

42 minutes ago, ArrowBerry said:

Okay I understand the output tube, going to the fuel pump. Which parts are the pointer and the ring?

Without a cap plug, would another option be to drain the fuel into a clean pail from each tank as you remove the feed line for that side?

Depends on how much fuel is in the tank. You could fill a lot of pails.

the pointer is the thing you switch tanks with. The ring is the ring you pull to drain the selector. There is a set screw on the side of the pointer. You have to unbend the ring.

15 hours ago, hammdo said:

Yes manually drain outside. No pull ring at all!

Except you have to set the fuel selector, get out, drain, go back, reset the selector, get out, drain. :D

With the GATS holder, you get in, drain, switch, drain, get out and retrieve the bottle and check for water.

• 3 weeks later...

Correct Lasar link for HE rebuild kit. Other one reported as bad link

https://lasar.com/seal-kits/maintenance-seal-kit-drawing-for-he769-fuel-selectorgascolator-he-fuel-selector-seal-kit-maintenance?rq=fuel selector

On 1/15/2024 at 11:00 PM, ArrowBerry said:

Thanks everyone for the pictures and posts of interest to read. I've been educating myself on this today, it's amazing how much we take for granted when systems work! Nevertheless, I never learn so much about something as I do when its broken lol

Anyways, we took the panel off the bottom today. It looks like there is some seepage and blue dye at the top where it would go through the floor, likely how we noticed it. And also a small amount where the RH wing fuel line comes into the selector. There was a very old sticker on it which identified it as an A&E selector, but no readable part or serial number. 

I've reached out to LASAR about this seal kit, whether it's the correct one, and the costs associated with rebuilding it here with the kit or just sending it in and having them make it like new! https://lasar.com/seal-kits/complete-seal-kit-drawing-for-he769-fuel-selectorgascolator-he-fuel-selector-seal-kit-complete?rq=fuel selector seal

IMG_1628.jpeg

IMG_1627.jpeg

https://lasar.com/seal-kits/maintenance-seal-kit-drawing-for-he769-fuel-selectorgascolator-he-fuel-selector-seal-kit-maintenance?rq=fuel selector