‘67 F Airspeed Indicator, Need to OH or Replace

Hey all, avionics shop just told me I need to repair or replace the airspeed indicator.

Where would you send it for overhaul?

If you were to replace one, where would you get it? Can you even get new airspeed indicators for a ‘67 F?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of legal alternatives for replacement

Your A&P should know where and which to use. 

Look at A/C Spruce for ideas and talk to the A&P

You can also have your instrument overhauled by any number of instrument overhaul shops. 

Again talk to your A&P   

You'll need a Pitot/Static check after the change anyway. 

• Like 1

Wow, that sucks Grant. 
Recent thread with options:
Rudys may be your best option for OH (just NE of Ft. Smith):
[mention=18901]gwav8or[/mention]
-Don

Thanks Don! Rudy’s may be my best bet as they are close.

Lots of legal alternatives for replacement
Your A&P should know where and which to use. 
Look at A/C Spruce for ideas and talk to the A&P
You can also have your instrument overhauled by any number of instrument overhaul shops. 
Again talk to your A&P   
You'll need a Pitot/Static check after the change anyway. 

Thanks cliffy good info!

There used to be lots of instrument shops. We have one here still. They can pretty much turn any airspeed into a Mooney airspeed. Well they used to anyway. They just need to get one that has the correct range and then silk screen the dial. Nowadays, I think it isn’t quite so easy. But they can repair yours and make it just like new. 

What’s wrong with it? Is it leaking?

There used to be lots of instrument shops. We have one here still. They can pretty much turn any airspeed into a Mooney airspeed. Well they used to anyway. They just need to get one that has the correct range and then silk screen the dial. Nowadays, I think it isn’t quite so easy. But they can repair yours and make it just like new. 

What’s wrong with it? Is it leaking?

Yep. Leaking.

I just sent my DG to Berkshire Instrument.  I shipped it overnight on Thursday and received it back on Tuesday.  He will do the airspeed overhaul for $230.   Just take it out ship it and then put it back in.  Its the least expensive route to take.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gwav8or said:

Where is the gasket located? Where the pitot connects?

The gasket is on the glass. There are 8 little screws behind the face. If you take them out from the back with the instrument sitting on its face, your front bezel will come off. If you have a TAS knob, you will have to release the knob. I think there is a screw you remove to release the knob gear. You will have to look it over to figure that out. Once the bezel is off there will be a paper gasket between the glass and the bezel. The glass can be pulled off the front of the instrument, it may be stuck on the rubber gasket. That is the gasket that is leaking. If you want to do an illegal repair, remove the gasket and clean it with IPA, also clean the gasket surface on the case. Don’t touch the face or needle, you will leave fingerprints on it. Don’t try to clean the dial or hand. Any attempt will probably damage the paint. Clean the glass with soap and water, then IPA. Don’t touch the glass except at the edges or you will leave finger prints on it. Now comes the bad part… coat the mating surfaces of the gasket with the thinnest continuous layer of black RTV you can manage. Set the glass in the bezel, then set the gasket into the bezel on top of the glass. Be super careful doing this. If the gasket touches the glass anywhere other than where it is supposed to, it will leave an RTV smear and you will have to start over cleaning the glass. Set the housing onto the bezel  and replace the screws. And admire how good your instrument looks.

DISCLAIMER! The above procedure is specifically prohibited by the regulations.

• Like 3

You can check if the leak is on the glass (it always is). Hook its static and pitot ports to the pitot static test box. Raise it a few thousand feet and check the leak rate by looking at the VSI on the test box. If it is leaking, push on the glass. If the leak stops, the gasket is leaking.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

The gasket is on the glass. There are 8 little screws behind the face. If you take them out from the back with the instrument sitting on its face, your front bezel will come off. If you have a TAS knob, you will have to release the knob. I think there is a screw you remove to release the knob gear. You will have to look it over to figure that out. Once the bezel is off there will be a paper gasket between the glass and the bezel. The glass can be pulled off the front of the instrument, it may be stuck on the rubber gasket. That is the gasket that is leaking. If you want to do an illegal repair, remove the gasket and clean it with IPA, also clean the gasket surface on the case. Don’t touch the face or needle, you will leave fingerprints on it. Don’t try to clean the dial or hand. Any attempt will probably damage the paint. Clean the glass with soap and water, then IPA. Don’t touch the glass except at the edges or you will leave finger prints on it. Now comes the bad part… coat the mating surfaces of the gasket with the thinnest continuous layer of black RTV you can manage. Set the glass in the bezel, then set the gasket into the bezel on top of the glass. Be super careful doing this. If the gasket touches the glass anywhere other than where it is supposed to, it will leave an RTV smear and you will have to start over cleaning the glass. Set the housing onto the bezel  and replace the screws. And admire how good your instrument looks.

DISCLAIMER! The above procedure is specifically prohibited by the regulations.

How do you know so much about those fingerprints?? ;)

• Haha 2