Gear up project J

Elijah

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

There's a trick to stack quarters/washers/shims/whatever in between the coils while the gear is down, then let it up a bit.   The washers/shims will keep the spring long and take tension off the gear connection.

This exactly. Works great, took about $3 worth of cheap ass washers from Harbor Freight. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Elijah said:

That's a good idea! I was gonna make the tool tonight but this sounds easier. Thanks! 

I have the official Mooney tool. The washers work way better. The tool helps with getting the spring off. the washers work better for putting it on. I've never tried putting washers in the spring for taking it off, but that would probably work too.

• Like 2

The washers worked pretty well. Got the gear leg off and cleaned up, see before and after pics. Now working on the wheel well, wow that is nasty. I think there were some attempted fuel tank repairs in here, there's some nasty gooey silicone like material squeezed into the joints around the spar. Lots of old dried on grease and dirt. What a mess. Any good tricks on cleaning these out? lol.... 

PXL_20231110_040638988.jpg

PXL_20231113_044655675.jpg

Edited by Elijah

2 hours ago, Elijah said:

The washers worked pretty well. Got the gear leg off and cleaned up, see before and after pics. Now working on the wheel well, wow that is nasty. I think there were some attempted fuel tank repairs in here, there's some nasty gooey silicone like material squeezed into the joints around the spar. Lots of old dried on grease and dirt. What a mess. Any good tricks on cleaning these out? lol.... 

Result looks great, but that angle grinder looks pretty aggressive for airplane work.

• 2 months later...

Good news, the wheel well cleanup and gear work is mostly complete. I had the gear legs powder coated and I stripped and painted the gear wells while they were out. A nasty job for sure and took a long time. However, it is done now and looks pretty nice. And most importantly, the gear legs and spar should be safe from any corrosion for awhile. 

I have all the belly skins ready to go and the two rear ones are riveted in place. I've made up new brake lines and went thru the calipers. Right now I'm trying to get the system bled. There's no fluid in the passenger side to put enough pressure on the shuttle valves to switch them over so I can push fluid up into that side. Gotta read up on the technique for that. 

Anyway, it's still moving forward albeit slowly!

PXL_20231231_045954578.jpg

PXL_20231222_044438775.jpg

PXL_20240102_055710442.jpg

• Like 4

This was a fun side project, making a patch for the lower gear door, it was slightly skinned up from the fateful landing. I am pretty happy how well it came out, that's the first time I ever tried to make a compound curve in aluminum. 

PXL_20240122_032040395.jpg

PXL_20240122_034205395.jpg

PXL_20240123_062501440.jpg

PXL_20240211_010431262.jpg

• Like 3

The flap corners were also skinned up so I made replacements. Same for the inboard flap hinges. One side only the fairing was damaged, on the other side both the fairing and the arm needed replaced. I ordered them from Mooney through LASAR, however the pilot holes do not line up well at all with the mating parts. I learned you need to ask for no pilot holes, undrilled if you're planning on matching it to an existing part. 

PXL_20240103_020651591.jpg

PXL_20240119_031751070.jpg

PXL_20231124_032454946.jpg

On 11/1/2023 at 7:34 PM, Echo said:

I bought my plane with a GDL82 ADSB solution installed.  It is in the belly and works in tandem with your existing transponder.  Mine works great.  i like that you don't have to update the transponder.  :) 

I actually came across a gdl 82 for a good deal so that is the ADSB route I'm going. My transponder was serviced in 2017 and I verified it still works - tx freq might need adjusted a bit but they can take care of that at the transponder cert.

I'd love to see a pic of where your gdl 82 is mounted, the belly sounds like a reasonable idea. That would roughly be in line with the existing coax run. 

PXL_20240104_022829449.jpg

PXL_20240104_022822236.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Elijah said:

I actually came across a gdl 82 for a good deal so that is the ADSB route I'm going. My transponder was serviced in 2017 and I verified it still works - tx freq might need adjusted a bit but they can take care of that at the transponder cert.

I'd love to see a pic of where your gdl 82 is mounted, the belly sounds like a reasonable idea. That would roughly be in line with the existing coax run. 

PXL_20240104_022829449.jpg

PXL_20240104_022822236.jpg

I will try and get a pic when in annual in April.  

• Like 1

A KT-76C can usually be had for not much money at all, they look a lot better being digital and match the radios if yiu have King radios, plus it displays the pressure altitude your xponder is transmitting. Besides there is no modification required, they slide into the existing tray and everything works.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got the interior out, starting on the window removal as well as some antenna work. Around the baggage area and above the hat rack area, there was ~1" thick black foam that has completely disintegrated. What - if anything - do people put in there in place of it, I guess it's just for sound dampening? The rest of the airplane has ~1/2" thick mylar backed foam insulation cut to fit between the various tubes, I believe that was installed when SBM20-208B was performed years ago. That foam is all in good condition. 

8 minutes ago, Elijah said:

Got the interior out, starting on the window removal as well as some antenna work. Around the baggage area and above the hat rack area, there was ~1" thick black foam that has completely disintegrated. What - if anything - do people put in there in place of it, I guess it's just for sound dampening? The rest of the airplane has ~1/2" thick mylar backed foam insulation cut to fit between the various tubes, I believe that was installed when SBM20-208B was performed years ago. That foam is all in good condition. 

Soundex works well.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/soundex7.php?clickkey=23792

• Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 12:21 AM, Elijah said:

The flap corners were also skinned up so I made replacements. Same for the inboard flap hinges. One side only the fairing was damaged, on the other side both the fairing and the arm needed replaced. I ordered them from Mooney through LASAR, however the pilot holes do not line up well at all with the mating parts. I learned you need to ask for no pilot holes, undrilled if you're planning on matching it to an existing part. 

PXL_20240103_020651591.jpg

PXL_20240119_031751070.jpg

PXL_20231124_032454946.jpg

I’m unbelievably jealous of the skill and knowledge you possess 

D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

Thanks! 

5 hours ago, Danb said:

I’m unbelievably jealous of the skill and knowledge you possess 

D

Thank you, I'm figuring out a lot of this as I go, with the help of good mentors! 

5 hours ago, hammdo said:

My GDL82 is above the co-pilot pedals:

Interesting idea, it doesn't get kicked there too much? I am planning to put it under the floor on the passenger side at this point, I have everything apart anyway...