Camloc replacement

Bigdaddie

Sometime during the life of our M20K, the side cowling Camlocs got replaced with screws making cowling removal a pain.  I plan on replacing all of the cowling Camlocs as well as the screws and receptacles.

What have you all been using, stainless or plated? And if you use stainless, did you go with the stainless receptacles also?  Advantages/disadvantages of both?

Thanks, and Happy New Year!

Steve

I was going to go with the adjustable receptacle so I could keep all the studs the same BUT the adjustable receptacles are like $50/EA!

This was a project I was going to do myself, but I may just pony up the $$$ and let ArtCraft do the cowling repairs and install the fasteners.  After all, once I “fix” it, the cost will probably be 2-3X to "fix my fixes."  That’s how I roll ;)

Steve

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10$ each https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pnpages/04-03785.php

also. Not a fan of having paint shops “fix” ratted out fiberglass cowling holes. Smearing polyester resin bondo and maybe some kitty hair to hold it together looks great for about a year. Then it all cracks and falls out. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bigdaddie said:

I was going to go with the adjustable receptacle so I could keep all the studs the same BUT the adjustable receptacles are like $50/EA!

This was a project I was going to do myself, but I may just pony up the $$$ and let ArtCraft do the cowling repairs and install the fasteners.  After all, once I “fix” it, the cost will probably be 2-3X to "fix my fixes."  That’s how I roll ;)

Steve

You can also make shims the same shape as the Camloc, then shim the receptacle as required so all studs are the same length. 

25 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

10$ each https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pnpages/04-03785.php

also. Not a fan of having paint shops “fix” ratted out fiberglass cowling holes. Smearing polyester resin bondo and maybe some kitty hair to hold it together looks great for about a year. Then it all cracks and falls out. 

Ouch!

3 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

You can also make shims the same shape as the Camloc, then shim the receptacle as required so all studs are the same length. 

Do you recommended any specific material for the shims?

45 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

Probably because polyester resin does not stick well to cured polyester resin.

On my race ca body, I use epoxy for all repairs.

1 hour ago, shawnd said:

Do you recommended any specific material for the shims?

Trace the footprint on some 2024T3 aluminum of the appropriate thickness. Then rivet it in place under the Camloc.

On 1/1/2023 at 8:37 AM, jetdriven said:

you’ll need the receptacles.  

Byron,

By receptacle, I assume you mean the part that is riveted into the lower cowling. Are they not completely compatable with the original camlocks? 

• 2 weeks later...

Newer Mooneys use a smaller diameter fastener… compared to the older ones…

Stainless is often preferred… 

The MM has details on the size, and how many… if your plane is new… wear and tear on a fiberglass cowl can be pretty harsh…. Over the decades…

The longer fasteners… go where the layers of materials being held together increase… sometimes the thickness change isn’t really obvious… 

Best regards,

-a-

• 3 weeks later...