The importance of passenger briefings

LFOD

I took one of my co-workers and his son up for a breakfast flight a week or so ago and had an interesting event transpire.  When I tried to raise the gear, it would not retract. The circuit breaker for the gear accuator would pop after an attempt to cycle.  I tried it a couple of times and was about to do a manual gear extension to ensure that it was down and locked. I look between the seats and of course the cover of the t-handle is unlatched.  His son must have kicked it when he was getting in the back seat.  Doh....

I added an item to the passenger brief and a quick look down before takeoff roll and I should be good to go in the future.

Always fly the airplane, I could see how someone could get pretty distracted by something like that on climbout and forget to aviate.