Oceano Airport Celebration May 11 and 12th

mooneygirl

Will you be attending the Friday night Dinner and Dance?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be attending the Friday night Dinner and Dance?

This is a serious issue because it is possible that a charity that benefits veterans, children, and general aviation, might be impacted by inferences that appear to be personally motivated.  There is an easy way to settle whether or not the charges are personal...if Friends of Oceano is, in fact, a 501c3, will those who questioned the charity not only apologize, but also make a personal donation?  This would seem a fair way of proving that personal motivations were not involved.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously?  We should act like Mooney pilots, not a lynch mob.  We need _more_ cheerleaders for Mooney and general aviation, not fewer.  If you think there's an issue with the 501©3 filing status, take it off-line and do your homework before assassinating character.  I see good works, and lots of donated personal time.  I have not seen them take credit for the work of others.  I don't know what triggered the sour grapes, but Jolie & Mitch deserve better than than this kind of insinuation on a public forum.

The weather in Northern California is gorgeous today- maybe it was the weather earlier this week that made everybody cranky.

Go fly, and have something to smile about!

You assumed it was personal.  It is not.  I could not get confirmation of a 501©3 by my own research.  I checked IRS and Cal Pilots Association databases.  They are NOT on either registry.  So, Jolie is typically very open and inquired.  This whole request should have been.  "We sure are, here's our EIN."  The lack of a simple answer by Jolly and Mitch has helped to fuel this whole morass.  My second question was about where the donations go.  Again, this is NOT personal.  This organization is collecting lots of money.  Is it going to improve Oceano airport?  Is it go to a legal fund to protect it?  etc.  Answers to these questions could spur more contributions.  Everyone here are good honest folks... just looking for some simple good honest answers.  So either they are provided or not.  The only post that is requested is with the answers.

By the way, we have a special rate at the Pacific Plaza Resort, just 1 block from L52.  When you contact them to book your stay, mention you are coming for Oceano Airport Celebration with the Friends of Oceano Airport, and you will receive a $65 p/night rate for the 1 bedroom condo and $45 p/night for the studio unit.

Please come for the Friday night Lion's Burger Fry and dance to The San Luis Jazz Band  www.sanluisjazzband.com

You will not be disappointed!

Check out the Pacific Plaza Resort YouTube virtual tour

Phil:

You asked for an EIN, and you have it.  Verification of Friends of Oceano chapter status with the California Pilots Association (and thus 501©3 eligibility) is quick to verify with a phone call to Cal Pilots, but you haven't done that or you'd know the answer.

After 30 seconds with Google:  (scroll down to page 7 of this newsletter from Cal Pilots to see a blurb welcoming Friends of Oceano Airport as a Chapter of Cal Pilots)

http://calpilots.org/newsletters/March-April%202012.pdf

I don't understand why you are trying to make an issue out of something that isn't an issue.  If it's personal, it doesn't belong on this forum.

I'm done on this issue.

Quote: knute

Phil:

You asked for an EIN, and you have it.  Verification of Friends of Oceano chapter status with the California Pilots Association (and thus 501©3 eligibility) is quick to verify with a phone call to Cal Pilots, but you haven't done that or you'd know the answer.

After 30 seconds with Google:  (scroll down to page 7 of this newsletter from Cal Pilots to see a blurb welcoming Friends of Oceano Airport as a Chapter of Cal Pilots)

http://calpilots.org/newsletters/March-April%202012.pdf

I don't understand why you are trying to make an issue out of something that isn't an issue.  If it's personal, it doesn't belong on this forum.

I'm done on this issue.

Quote: Skybrd

I hope they continue to operate Oceano airport. When I was a teenage in the 1960's my Dad at times would fly us to Oceano for lunch or just to spend some time at the ocean. Back in those days Oceano was more into dune buggies and they were fun to watch. I rented a motorbike there when I was 15 with only a learners permit (didn't need a drivers license or motorcycle license). Since I've been a pilot, I've flow there many times and at times camped at the airport. Those folks also went out of their way to loan us pilots, bicycles to use. I remember one time borrowing one and the tires were painted green. I guess that kept people from stealing them. Thanks Jolie and Mitch for help keeping Oceano airport going. The anti airport people probably want to shut it down.

Phil

Why not concentrate on what we can do to promote GA and Mooney's.  This thread go go only two ways, forget about it and help GA and Mooney's, or make it undesireable to be involved.    Remember, most Pilots only get involved in there home field. Mitch and Jolie live near this field and are based at Santa Maria.

Mitch and Jolie are doing the work of a 100 or people that I know, including me. If I buy a T-shirt, or donate in some way, that is my choice. It's obvious that you would not be donating to the Friends of Oceano.   I have been flying into Oceanoi for over 20 years. The airport used to be friendly and well kept up. It went downwards for many years. The last couple of years since Mitch and Jolie have taken an interest in it, it is in better shape and much nicer again.

Since you are or were a major portion of the VMG group, would you be offended if we asked about the tax status of that, and where did our money go?   Like I said earlier, I bought  some shirts and hats. I don't care about the tax status or the accounting. The money could have gone into your pocket or anyones else's, I got what my money bought, and that's what matters to me.

Ron

Quote: N9154V

Phil

Why not concentrate on what we can do to promote GA and Mooney's.  This thread go go only two ways, forget about it and help GA and Mooney's, or make it undesireable to be involved.    Remember, most Pilots only get involved in there home field. Mitch and Jolie live near this field and are based at Santa Maria.

Mitch and Jolie are doing the work of a 100 or people that I know, including me. If I buy a T-shirt, or donate in some way, that is my choice. It's obvious that you would not be donating to the Friends of Oceano.   I have been flying into Oceanoi for over 20 years. The airport used to be friendly and well kept up. It went downwards for many years. The last couple of years since Mitch and Jolie have taken an interest in it, it is in better shape and much nicer again.

Since you are or were a major portion of the VMG group, would you be offended if we asked about the tax status of that, and where did our money go?   Like I said earlier, I bought  some shirts and hats. I don't care about the tax status or the accounting. The money could have gone into your pocket or anyones else's, I got what my money bought, and that's what matters to me.

Ron

Quote: mooneyflyer

Also, please click on my link above, or repeated here from the California PIlots Association that indicates that FOA is a chapter, but does NOT participate in the 501©3.  Here's the link again: http://calpilots.org/index.php?option=com_civicrm&task=civicrm/profile&reset=1&gid=36&force=1&search=0&Itemid=135

I'm going to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and assume that some people simply didn't have access to the internet or Google, 'cause it took me about forty seconds to figure out that CalPilots hadn't updated their website. Maybe we have a rare, and secret, cabal of Amish-Mooney pilots (the "Moonish" if you will), who fly non-electric planes (i.e. hydraulic flaps and, of course, Johnson bar for their landing gear), whose homes do not yet even have dial-up.  One possible hint that such a group exists here, is the high ratio of hangar raising threads.  If you're wondering how they post on MooneySpace, well...I assume that they send carrier-pigeon messages to their "English" friends who have access to such machines.  

Weather outlook for the event is looking just fantabulous!!  This is exciting and we invite you all!  L52 is parking space challenged but we do our very best to get everyone in.  Snuggle up close please and use your chocks.  We'll make it happen!

Friday night Lion's burger fry and dance [fun!] and Sat. is airport day with tons of things to do and see.  Amazing raffle/silent auction things at low starting bids. 

Use the loaner bikes to get to Pismo or over to the beach too!

See you soon and thank you for helping us promote this little slice of paradise California beach airport!  Cool

post-291-1346814094436_thumb.jpg

Well..... Friday night.......straw bales, tiki torches, beach burgers, airplanes, old friends, new friends, dancing to The San Luis Jazz Band ...........this is just getting more exciting!  I don't really think you want to miss this if you are within Mooney flying distance of L52!

Heck, I'm excited and I'm the band leader which means I'll be working' all night!  That's OK though, it's just going to be fun!!

Thank you GA News for helping to get the word out for Oceano Airport Celebration!  http://www.generalaviationnews.com/2012/04/26/oceano-airport-celebration-coming-up/ Cool

Come on Mooneys, help us celebrate and promote this great CA beach airport!  Join our Veterans salute and bring an item for our overseas front line troops!

The Friday Night Burger Fry and Dance should be a blast. The weather looks very nice. The temperature will dip down to the 50s at night, so bring your jacket.  We will have the fire pits going, but you will be at the beach so you can do the math.

Family fun for all.  Door prize and sneak peak at the Silent Auction.  Smores and popcorn for the kids and young at heart.

$10 for adults, $5 for kids. San Luis Jazz Band will be performing great dance music, heck it will be dark so no one will see you!  Ha

Ramp space is limited, we are implementing Snuggle Up parking!  Bring chocks and tie downs if you like [we might be parking some in the grass].

Pacific Plaza Resort is booked for Friday, but we do have camping for $10 per night. They do have two rooms for Saturday available.

post-46-13468140973271_thumb.jpg