Importing a M20K from Canada

redbaron1982

Hi all,

Anyone has experience on the process to import a Mooney M20K from Canada? The aircraft was originally registered in the US, then it was exported to Canada (and now has a C-Registration), and now I'm thinking of buying it and importing it back to the US.

How complex is the process? Can anyone provide a contact of a person that could help me with this process?

I’m pretty sure it requires the equivalent of an annual as part of the import requirement. 
I looked into importing one on two occasions. 
It didn’t appear to be prohibitively expensive but I budgeted $15k.

it’s just another factor, nothing that time or money doesn’t fix. 
There are some complications getting in and out of Canada though, they have some strict COVID lock down provisions. 

39 minutes ago, redbaron1982 said:

Hi all,

Anyone has experience on the process to import a Mooney M20K from Canada? The aircraft was originally registered in the US, then it was exported to Canada (and now has a C-Registration), and now I'm thinking of buying it and importing it back to the US.

How complex is the process? Can anyone provide a contact of a person that could help me with this process?

Where is the plane?  I may be able to help out.  On this side of the border it’s fairly simple, on your side less so.  You should speak with your IA and the DAR he uses to see what they want done.  Generally an Annual inspection has to be completed along with an Export C of A issued before export.

Clarence

The airplane is located at SAINT-HUBERT, CANADA.

This would be my first airplane, so "my IA" still has to be chosen. I live in Houston, so my idea is to take the airplane to Southwest Texas Aviation. Maybe I can introduce myself with them and see if they can help me with the first step, that's getting the airplane to the US.

If this is a private transaction, then it is quite easy. You’re entire experience will be dependent on the specific Port Of Entry (POE) and the CBP Officer who handles the paperwork at the POE.

This Mooney should be able to be brought in with a CBP Form 3311 “Declaration for Free Entry of Returned American Products”. You should not have to pay a nickel to import it.

Could also do a 7501 “Entry Summary”…

Personally I would not deal with a broker as it’s not necessary in this situation. The most important part is to contact the POE you plan on formally importing this at and work with them; ask specific questions and even a point of contact. I always enjoyed helping fellow aircraft owners import their new project birds into the USA.

Last time I exported, I flew down to KBLI to ask the customs guys what I needed to do when I did it for real.  They flat out told me to get a broker, which I did.  Then for the real export, I presented one page with a barcode, and i was done in less time than it takes to cross normally.  I would do it again, well worth taking the stress out of the situation.

Don

Sales (AKA “Use”) Tax is dependent on the state. That is typically a matter for any purchase regardless if it’s being imported. A trick I learned later in life was to register as an aircraft dealer and register your purchases under your dealer name. My former state wouldn’t nail you on the Use Tax then.

I’m not surprised that some lazy worthless CBP Officer told you to get a broker. If that’s the case then you call back the next day (or shift) and ask to speak to a Supervisor. This agency goes bananas when people complain. I’m serious — I once received a Congressional complaint that I didn’t say “Welcome Back to the USA” to an alleged traveller. I have never said that to anyone. It wasn’t my job to to welcome people “back”. I digress; first get an idea where you want to process the paperwork (i.e. which Port Of Entry).

22 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

If this is a private transaction, then it is quite easy. You’re entire experience will be dependent on the specific Port Of Entry (POE) and the CBP Officer who handles the paperwork at the POE.

This Mooney should be able to be brought in with a CBP Form 3311 “Declaration for Free Entry of Returned American Products”. You should not have to pay a nickel to import it.

Could also do a 7501 “Entry Summary”…

Personally I would not deal with a broker as it’s not necessary in this situation. The most important part is to contact the POE you plan on formally importing this at and work with them; ask specific questions and even a point of contact. I always enjoyed helping fellow aircraft owners import their new project birds into the USA.

Importing and taxation issues are quite different than getting a C of R and a C of A from the FAA.

Clarence

If you belong to the AOPA talk to them. They have an escrow service that will help you through the whole thing and makes it "almost" seamless. They'll give you all the information and be able to lead you to the proper paperwork to have also. You can also first check on their website