GNC355 advice

Vilvens24

Im putting a GNC355 and 2-G5’s in a 172 I lease to a flight school.

I’ve got a 355 as my #2 in my M20G and it’s a great little box.

Does anyone have a cost effective way to get ADSB-in into the 355 so the traffic/WX functionality will operate.

Adding an additional gnc 345/375 just seems like overkill at the low low price of $5500.

It looks like if you want traffic and weather on your GNC 355 you will either have to install a transponder that will provide it like I did (GTX 345) or a GDL 88 (listed at $3995).  It does not look like any inexpensive portable ADS B units like the GDL 52 will work with the GNC 355.

The Garmin gps units are only designed to import information from other Garmin sources as stated above.  Although the cost is a real bummer if you really want that functionality the 345 is the obvious choice.  

On a side note the Garmin GI 275s will also display the traffic and weather information from the 345.  They are a nice upgrade from the G5’s.  Unfortunately I have Uavionix and ForeFlight sentry for ADSB so no such functionality for me,  although I do still get terrain which is cool.  

10 hours ago, Utah20Gflyer said:

On a side note the Garmin GI 275s will also display the traffic and weather information from the 345.  They are a nice upgrade from the G5’s.  Unfortunately I have Uavionix and ForeFlight sentry for ADSB so no such functionality for me,  although I do still get terrain which is cool.  

Yes, but pretty limited in what and how it is displayed  On a dual ADI and Standby ADI/HSI the ADI will display traffic, I think only if you have the synthetic vision option.  The HSI Map will show graphical weather but not text.  A MFD would display everything but you will be much happier seeing it displayed on an iPad.