Lynx 9000 Touchscreen

Mac80

Had 2 lockups on touchscreen. Today screen worked OK then when controller asks me change to before landing the VFR via the touch assist button, no dials, the screen locked on to the IFR transponder code and would not revert to VFR.

Happen a week or so ago but worse could not get anything to come up except VFR code and gibberish. Later same flight it started some familiar routines.

Airplane has not been not hit by lighting or power surge that I know of but did have a routine annual before this started.

I don't think they even turn on the avionics bus. Oil prop new tires and inspections.

Have any other users had this kind of issue?

I have asked L3 technical and the installer to call me.

Hmm, same thing happened to mine back in 2018.  Had to pull and send the unit in under warranty.  L3 never did get back to me with a reason why it would lock up, they just replaced the entire unit with a new one.  That happened about 13 months after install and roughly 270 hours of flight time.  I will say that L3 customer service was great, but the inconvenience of being down while waiting for the new unit and then having to fly to a shop for the swap was a pain.

Good luck. 

Brian

2 hours ago, Mac80 said:

Had 2 lockups on touchscreen. Today screen worked OK then when controller asks me change to before landing the VFR via the touch assist button, no dials, the screen locked on to the IFR transponder code and would not revert to VFR.

Happen a week or so ago but worse could not get anything to come up except VFR code and gibberish. Later same flight it started some familiar routines.

Airplane has not been not hit by lighting or power surge that I know of but did have a routine annual before this started.

I don't think they even turn on the avionics bus. Oil prop new tires and inspections.

Adding @JKeeth for any guidance (assuming I tagged the correct “Jim”).

My NGT-9000+ has largely been rock-solid.  I’ve had to replace one unit a few years ago, but L3 and my shop made it a pleasant experience.

Thanks for all the help and support. I did not want to be negative. I was surprised.

The functions of ADS-B, traffic, and weather have been useful.

Controllers have never complained and having it seems to make things easier for them too.

Connecting to my iPad and ForeFlight for traffic has been very comforting in busy space.

The price is reasonable  and it has otherwise been flawless. 

My instructor likes them too and told me he is surprised that more pilots have not installed them.

Any suggestions are welcome.  

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help and support. I did not want to be negative. I was surprised.
The functions of ADS-B, traffic, and weather have been useful.
Controllers have never complained and having it seems to make things easier for them too.
Connecting to my iPad and ForeFlight for traffic has been very comforting in busy space.
The price is reasonable  and it has otherwise been flawless. 
My instructor likes them too and told me he is surprised that more pilots have not installed them.
Any suggestions are welcome.  

A couple of things to try. I don’t think you mentioned cleaning the screen. I would do that first.

There is a touch screen calibration that can be accessed through maintenance mode.

7ac1da92260ad883558e4aae7f368dba.png
ae35e50638d28af018240faedf8aa9d6.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Excellent service by Stan at Higginsville Avionics near KC Missouri. Only charged $100 to replace and test the rebuilt unit and $300 for new IFR 2 year certification.

Century in Mineral Wells rebuilt the roll servo, autopilot and replaced trim switches. Excellent service by Matt Greer.

There are many good service people that support general aviation.

Lynx replacement functions well with transponder frequency changes and traffic. Still not sure about getting Metars have not shown up as previous model, but I get those by radios or iPad connection thru Lynx on Bluetooth.

Three years of service on the original Lynx unit is disappointing. I would expect more. My 1994 Century 2000 lasted longer. Since last overhaul it’s been 19 years before need for a rebuilt roll servo, computer trim board and couple of trim switch replacement and works better than since purchased with plane in 2005.

Total expenses for travel, fuel, rebuilt units and labor less than $7,000 versus $30,000 + for new autopilot attitude and directional gyro replacements, transponder, ADSB traffic and weather. 

ACSS (L3) customer service and technical support was excellent.

Very pleased to have a safe IFR plane back in service.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/20/2021 at 5:18 PM, Mac80 said:

Only once when outdoor temp was 30 deg f and cabin had not been preheated. I have found that all avionics work better if you set an electric heater in the cargo area and bring the cabin up to comfortable temperature the night  before. Been doing it for 20yrs without a problem.

• Like 1