Fasteners

rotorman

27 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

AN526-1032R10 if they’re truss head and AN507-1032R10 if they’re countersunk.

Clarence

Do you think it's OK to use an R8?  The R10's seem to poke in uncomfortably close to the prop hub, at least on mine...

Edited by jaylw314

Just now, jaylw314 said:

Do you think it's OK to use an R8?  The R10's seem to poke in uncomfortably close to the prop hub, at least on mine...

Use which ever length puts a thread or two through the plate nut.

Clarence

18 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Use which ever length puts a thread or two through the plate nut.

Clarence

I'm pretty sure the R8's will still have that amount of thread, I might give it a try.  I think the fiberglass has just squished some over the decades.  Thanks! :) 

2 hours ago, rotorman said:

I need the 6 machine screws and washer that fasten the front of upper cowl. I believe they are #10s. An old one measured at 3/16 x 11/32 but I can't seem to find that size. Anyone have a part #?

Incidentally, if you ask the Google lady to do a search for "Mooney M20J Illustrated Parts Catalog", you should find a document that would be good to save a copy of :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PT20J said:

And, I'll bet you didn't even have to look that up ;)

When I went to school, we had to learn hardware, the AN system made it really simple, the new MS system make no sense.

The current schooling system teaches “ go look it up every time and don’t commit anything to memory”

Clarence

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

When I went to school, we had to learn hardware, the AN system made it really simple, the new MS system make no sense.

Clarence

Absolutely agree!

The AN system is far better.

11 hours ago, Hank said:

What is it, Diameter in 16ths, length is eighths?

More or less.  Screws are done by their size, #6,#8,#10 and length in 1/16”.  Most all screw fell into the AN 500 series, with a letter changing the material, add an R for Phillips drive, it all made for an easy system.

The greatest generation had it figured out very well, the current one less so.

Clarence

On 4/1/2021 at 3:59 AM, M20Doc said:

The current schooling system teaches “ go look it up every time and don’t commit anything to memory”

Clarence

Ha!  When I started my RV project and was sorting through all the parts, I started excitedly labelling little bins for all the screws and rivets once I found out what al the AN numbers meant.  Then I found out about the MS system and sulked for a few weeks