GNS 430W terrain database problem

PT20J

Just another data point to add but my update worked but only after the second try. I used the new version/way of the website updating the cards not the old way where you download the files and then update. The only issue was the first time i tried  the software updated the database and then asked for the terrain data card and when i plugged that one in the software jumpped to 100% and said it was done. I wouldn’t have even thought about it except of people on here saying they had problems. So i went back to the download screen and unchecked the database and only had the terrain database selected and tried again.  This time the software showed a progress bar that was very fast but not instantaneous like the first time so maybe that saved me from a corrupt card? Or maybe i just got lucky.  

3906BF6E-577C-4E4B-B230-181C03402EA1.jpeg

On 3/6/2021 at 5:55 PM, PT20J said:

Garmin tech support suggests trying the “older update method”.

That "older update method" is a Google Chrome plugin that is no longer supported and will no longer work.  

That's what they just punted me to as well.

Buried on the Garmin pages are these links to the latest versions with windows installers.

Alternate Download Process

If you are having trouble updating your device we also provide a method to update your databases manually.

Off the phone with Garmin.  Old update process didn’t work.  They are sending a replacement card immediately and said they want my old card - they have a case open and the engineers are now looking in to it because its happened enough times. 

This is really squirrely. Something's clearly not going right or so many folks wouldn't be having problems who never had problems before.

Theory: Someone in "engineering" changed the latest Terrain database and eliminated some feature that made it backward compatible with older versions of the 430W/530W operating system/software version. That might explain why some are working fine and others are not...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, PJClark said:

Theory: Someone in "engineering" changed the latest Terrain database and eliminated some feature that made it backward compatible with older versions of the 430W/530W operating system/software version.

I'm running v5.3 on my 530W

I bought a new terrain card. It came preloaded with the current terrain and obstacle databases. When the GNS 430W powered up with it installed, I got the same airport database error during Initialization but then it showed that all the databases were available with correct version number or date as appropriate. Initially it wouldn't pass the terrain database test in the hangar, but did so when I pulled it out and let the GPS find it's position. After that it now boots normally. I have supplied this info to Garmin support. I have not tried downloading to the new card.

Skip

7 hours ago, PJClark said:

This is really squirrely. Something's clearly not going right or so many folks wouldn't be having problems who never had problems before.

Theory: Someone in "engineering" changed the latest Terrain database and eliminated some feature that made it backward compatible with older versions of the 430W/530W operating system/software version. That might explain why some are working fine and others are not...

That was my thought a few post back, but I verified that I'm running 5.4/5.0, the same as PT20J.  Yet, I didn't have any problems, and he did.  So, I think there is more going on.  I'm going to be very nervous come the next update cycle!

One other possibility that comes to mind is an interaction of the download process with the PC's operating system.  I use an ancient PC with WIndows XP, and use the manual download file and install process.  Never an issue.

I just received this email from Garmin:

When you go to update, make sure you do one at a time.  From FlyGarmin.com select navigation and load nav on the nav card.  Then come back to FlyGarmin for the obstacle database.  If you select all, and allow the computer decide, that could be leading to your issue.  

I'm going to try to get some clarification, but it does sound like there is a problem with flyGarmin.

Skip

2 hours ago, PT20J said:

I just received this email from Garmin:

When you go to update, make sure you do one at a time.  From FlyGarmin.com select navigation and load nav on the nav card.  Then come back to FlyGarmin for the obstacle database.  If you select all, and allow the computer decide, that could be leading to your issue.  

I'm going to try to get some clarification, but it does sound like there is a problem with flyGarmin.

Skip

That would make since as i did select all and when it updated the terrain it just jumped to 100%. Only after i went back and requested to onky update terrain did it take more and 5 seconds to update but that was 5 times as long as the first time. 

6 hours ago, Will.iam said:

That would make since as i did select all and when it updated the terrain it just jumped to 100%. Only after i went back and requested to onky update terrain did it take more and 5 seconds to update but that was 5 times as long as the first time. 

I always select all. And, I’ve always found the software a bit funky detecting the cards correctly, and the progress bar behavior has always has seemed to be a little strange. I’m running v1.5.11.0. 

12 hours ago, PT20J said:

I always select all. And, I’ve always found the software a bit funky detecting the cards correctly, and the progress bar behavior has always has seemed to be a little strange. I’m running v1.5.11.0. 

Interesting.  I've always done one at a time and never had an issue.  Please let us know what happens.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, PT20J said:

Looks like my problem was a bad terrain database card. I purchased a new one and downloaded the obstacle database to it and it works fine now.

Skip

Thanks for the follow-up!

• 2 years later...

All, P210N driver but wanted to pass along as I too had this issue and my searching led me here.  

I trashed two Terrain cards trying to do the latest update and after reading a variety of forums I called Garmin and did my time on hold.  What was different for me was I tried to do a bulk update (selected both the 530 and 430 from the main screen and selected the Obstacle database for both).  The first card appeared to update correctly but the second failed immediately after hitting go.  I then went back and tried to update either again (doing the one card at a time) and both cards were now corrupt.

I was hoping to get them to send me new cards (as this is clearly a software issue) but they instead pointed me at a new utility they have that allows you to reset the card.  Only downside is you have to dig up a Windows box if you're a Mac user as it only runs on Windows.  

That said, it recovered both of my cards and I just downloaded new Terrain and Obstacle DB's to both cards (the utility wipes the card to recover it so you have to reload).

Hope it helps someone who reads this...

Edited by W0VOS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, W0VOS said:

All, P210N driver but wanted to pass along as I too had this issue and my searching led me here.  

I trashed two Terrain cards trying to do the latest update and after reading a variety of forums I called Garmin and did my time on hold.  What was different for me was I tried to do a bulk update (selected both the 530 and 430 from the main screen and selected the Obstacle database for both).  The first card appeared to update correctly but the second failed immediately after hitting go.  I then went back and tried to update either again (doing the one card at a time) and both cards were now corrupt.

I was hoping to get them to send me new cards (as this is clearly a software issue) but they instead pointed me at a new utility they have that allows you to reset the card.  Only downside is you have to dig up a Windows box if you're a Mac user as it only runs on Windows.  

That said, it recovered both of my cards and I just downloaded new Terrain and Obstacle DB's to both cards (the utility wipes the card to recover it so you have to reload).

Hope it helps someone who reads this...

Thanks for helping the Mooney community!

Uh oh. Me too. I have not being updating the 430 for quite awhile because the plane has been in the shop. Worked fine the first two times it came out of the shop. Now all I get on the 430 is the first start-up screen with the copyright info. Thinking I had forgotten which card goes where, I switched them (put the nav in the terrain slot and vice versa) and then the 430 started up and found the satellites. I could switch frequencies on the radio, etc. However, no database, could not even put in a direct to airport. I brought the cards home and have reloaded a second time. This is a relatively new card (orange label about 5 years old) because the original silver label quit working. After reading this I wonder if I should even put the cards in the 40 or if that will brick the 430. Maybe take the whole issue to my avionics shop?