Breaking in a new engine

Bob E

I should have posted this earlier, I suppose.  Earlier this year (April) my '65 C got a zero-time Lycoming remanufatured O-360.  The excellent shop at Marysville, Ohio did the install.

As everyone knows, a zero-time engine has to be broken in, and the first hours are flown near the installation airport at full throttle.  So there I was, flying around and around KMRT, which is just northwest of the Ohio State University Airport where I'm based, and it occurred to me, in the immortal words of Doc Brown, "why not do it with a little style?"

I knew what I had to do.

GO BUCKS!

1585633639_N5936Q-ScriptOhio(Apr.32020).thumb.jpg.bc34f5b8e7316198dd6fe1842d52fced.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Nice hand writing, but I don’t ever recall reading that you fly around at full throttle on a break in flight.

From the SI:

At cruise altitude, decrease power to approximately 75% and continue flight for 2 hours. For the second hour, do power settings alternating between 65% and 75% power as per the applicable POH.

The last 30 minutes are a Max rated power

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

Nice hand writing, but I don’t ever recall reading that you fly around at full throttle on a break in flight.

From the SI:

At cruise altitude, decrease power to approximately 75% and continue flight for 2 hours. For the second hour, do power settings alternating between 65% and 75% power as per the applicable POH.

The last 30 minutes are a Max rated power

Clarence

Yep, it was something like that.  I had the specifics written down at the time so I wouldn't screw it up.  I don't remember what portion of the flight was at full versus almost full power.  It was at 5000'.  (I wasn't actually trying to describe the precise break-in procedure here!  ;)  )

Thanks for the kudos on my handwriting!  (ditto caruosam!)

• Haha 1