What is your favorite silly airplane?

1 hour ago, MooneyMitch said:

Maybe not silly, but certainly most interesting the POGO was!  I saw this aircraft stored at the Smithsonian Garber facility in 2001.  Quite something it was!!

I'll take spectacular ways to kill pilots for $500 Alex.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This is my fave.  First off, the pilot who was chosen to land on the moon first couldn't hardly control it.   When the base ace crashes it, it must be just awfully hard to do.  Plus, it just looks silly.  Today with mems and low-power cpu's/control systems, this would be easy.

lunar_lander_simulator.png

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 47U said:

F2Y Sea Dart.  Saw it at the museum in San Diego.  

image.jpeg.e904d61cb7ceb831b13037d317224e9c.jpeg

That’s not silly.  That’s just cool!  I would love to see that thing tied up at someone’s dock.  Or some fisherman on a clear blue lake dangling their feet And their lines.

4 minutes ago, skydvrboy said:

I don't think you can count a plane that didn't actually fly (more than once).  Otherwise, there are a whole host of entries in this contest that one would observe at Flugtag!

But it looks like a plane.  Sort of.  well, maybe it looks like a boat. Well sort of.  

Never mind.

My personal favorite, the Short SC-7 Skyvan.  It's said this was a mail order plane, but they decided to throw away the airplane and just fly the box!  Plus, it kind of reminds me of the Winnebago space ship in Spaceballs.  Sure is fun to jump out of that big open tailgate though.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, skydvrboy said:

image.jpeg.f2449d9d20866113ec7ae07afeaa3033.jpeg

There are lots of fun ways that skyvans have been painted.  I originally went with one that reminded me of Spaceballs.  Perhaps it's the black nose that reminded me of Barf.

Hey, whatever happened to @orangemtl's Acclaim? Any pictures of it laying around?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, skydvrboy said:

image.jpeg.f2449d9d20866113ec7ae07afeaa3033.jpeg

There are lots of fun ways that skyvans have been painted.  I originally went with one that reminded me of Spaceballs.  Perhaps it's the black nose that reminded me of Barf.

Now that's just embarrassing.

No wait - I LOVE IT!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank said:

Hey, whatever happened to @orangemtl's Acclaim? Any pictures of it laying around?

Hank,

I’m glad you asked...  mostly because it is a fading memory, and I want to get use of it before it is gone... :)

MTL’s old ship is currently listed for sale at GMax..!

Interested?  

ML are his initials... MTL for the whole thing...  https://www.gmaxamericanaircraft.com/inventory/?/listings/for-sale/aircraft/13?dscompanyid=6946&dlr=1&settingscrmid=61466

MTL had mentioned why he selected the colors... to be found... in the event of an off field landing in the snow... the white parts of planes kind of blend in with the background...

This would qualify for extremely silly... if I were to buy it...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

image.jpeg.9e2847d1cef8aa2f5d4548e1a2feeb07.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

That thing would be a fantastic camper to fly around the world and live in your motor home.

I think the best airplanes for that are the Albatrosses.    There are a number of them outfitted like that and they're impressive, and you can land on a lake/river/sea or an airport.

• Like 1