Is It OK To Fly With Interior Out?

kurtsnyder

So we have taken the headliner out as well as the back seats and side panels as part of out interior redo. I need to go to Kentucky for work and it's a 3.5 hour drive compared to a 1 hour flight. So, my question is just as in the title: Can I fly with not having the interior installed? Is it legal? I don't see that it would be a problem other than the ceiling insulation falling. I sure want to fly instead of drive!

My interpretation is that so long as you have the required minimum VFR equipment listed in the POH in operational condition, there is no structural damage as a result of the missing interior (none of what you describe sounds structural to me), and you can complete all of the ground pre-flight checks successfully, then you have an airworthy aircraft that complies with the Type Certificate and can be flown legally in accordance with the regs. 

I flew several times with my full ceiling and left side removed during 430W upgrade [had to run new coax for the replacement roof antenna]. Don't remember if noise was different, but that's why we wear headsets. It did feel funny leaving her tied down on the ramp looking neglected and abused, though.

CAUTION if you're flying with the ceiling removed:  my gear & stall horns are mounted in the ceiling. With the ceiling out, the horns don't work. So be careful going somewhere unfamiliar, very busy or other high-workload environments. Your "reminders" won't remind you . . .

Thanks for the info guys! I ended up flying almost 3 hours total on Friday and everything was just fine. I'm sure I breathed in some insulation dust from the ceiling and hopefully I won't get cancer. I was surprised at how much air was moving inside the cabin compared to when everything is installed. I was a little embarrased too when the line guy walked up and saw inside. It looks like I'm driving an old beat up car on the inside.