STATE TAX aircraft

When it comes down to it, I trust the union more than the company.   If you ever worked in a union shop you would know this.  Who is the most heavily unionized airline? Southwest Airlines.  Who has the lowest fares, highest paid employees, best productivity, highest utilization, best worker morale, and the most free cash?   Southwest Airlines.

• Sad 1

Quote: jetdriven

Whatever happened to good old fashionaed accountability.  You get drunk. You fly into a chuirch full of nuns and baby seals.  You cannot be sued for damages because of corporate trickery, yet I can.  The fundamental problem with a corporation is it has no body to imprison and no life to take if it does wrong.

I've been absent on vacation for the last week. Imagine my surprise to check into Mooneyspace and see a thread that had 133 new posts! "That's gone politics" I said to myself...wish I hadn't been right. When I was over on the Piper forum they created a whole section just for politics. Problem was, once that section was there, no one went. Seems we pilots don't like to INITIATE threads on politics, but we sure do like to HIJACK them!

I haven't read through all 133 posts, but did someone at least mention their preference for LOP?

When it comes down to it, I trust the union more than the company.   If you ever worked in a union shop you would know this.  Who is the most heavily unionized airline? Southwest Airlines.  Who has the lowest fares, highest paid employees, best productivity, highest utilization, best worker morale, and the most free cash?   Southwest Airlines.

And no, LOP burns up your valves. I learned this from Hank McGillycuddy, owner of the engine shop in Ruidoso, NM back in 1971.  He said, that LOP burns valves and, well, we all know he was right.   He also said climb at 25/25 and dont run oversquare.   This also applies to fixed pitch props, geared engines, turboprops, jets, and space shuttles.    "Hey Hoot, dont lean out that mixture so much, we might not make orbit if we burn a valve!"

I shall now rant.

As if that's not what I always do.

Someone metioned ethanol.

ETHANOL SUBSIDIES suck

Bad for cars, bad for environment, bad for economy but good for the ag lobby.

There are no redeeming graces for ethanol in motor fuel, none what so ever.

The way our government works we are stuck with a crappy motor fuel that we can't use in airplanes.

Ruins our cars, makes our food cost more and has a net negative impact on the ecology.

All because some lobby bought off someone in government.

Don't you find it obscene we are trying to find a way to extract more money out of people who make a household income of less than 35K PER YEAR? (this is the cutoff, many make far less) (bottom 40% of households)

Meanwhile the biggest corporations pay no income tax at all?  WTFO?  Is that fair?

Cant anyone see the ridiculousness of the situation?

source:  http://sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/news/?id=67562604-8280-4d56-8af4-a27f59d70de5

1)      Exxon Mobil made $19 billion in profits in 2009.  Exxon not only paid no federal income taxes, it actually received a $156 million rebate from the IRS, according to its SEC filings.  (Source: Exxon Mobil's 2009 shareholder report filed with the SEC here.)

2)      Bank of America received a $1.9 billion tax refund from the IRS last year, although it made $4.4 billion in profits and received a bailout from the Federal Reserve and the Treasury Department of nearly $1 trillion. (Source: Forbes.com here, ProPublica here and Treasury here.)

3)      Over the past five years, while General Electric made $26 billion in profits in the United States, it received a $4.1 billion refund from the IRS. (Source: Citizens for Tax Justice here and The New York Times here.  Note: despite rumors to the contrary, the Times has stood by its story.)

4)      Chevron received a $19 million refund from the IRS last year after it made $10 billion in profits in 2009.  (Source: See 2009 Chevron annual report here.  Note 15 on page FS-46 of this report shows a U.S. federal income tax liability of $128 million, but that it was able to defer $147 million for a U.S. federal income tax liability of $-19 million)

5)      Boeing, which received a $30 billion contract from the Pentagon to build 179 airborne tankers, got a $124 million refund from the IRS last year. .  (Source: Paul Buchheit, professor, DePaul University, here and Citizens for Tax Justice here.)

6)      Valero Energy, the 25th largest company in America with $68 billion in sales last year received a $157 million tax refund check from the IRS and, over the past three years, it received a $134 million tax break from the oil and gas manufacturing tax deduction. (Source: the company's 2009 annual report, pg. 112, here.)

7)      Goldman Sachs in 2008 only paid 1.1 percent of its income in taxes even though it earned a profit of $2.3 billion and received an almost $800 billion from the Federal Reserve and U.S. Treasury Department.  (Source: Bloomberg News here, ProPublica here, Treasury Department here.)

8)      Citigroup last year made more than $4 billion in profits but paid no federal income taxes. It received a $2.5 trillion bailout from the Federal Reserve and U.S. Treasury. (Source: Paul Buchheit, professor, DePaul University, here, ProPublica here, Treasury Department here.)

9)      ConocoPhillips, the fifth largest oil company in the United States, made $16 billion in profits from 2006 through 2009, but received $451 million in tax breaks through the oil and gas manufacturing deduction.  (Sources: Profits can be found here.  The deduction can be found on the company's 2010 SEC 10-K report to shareholders on 2009 finances, pg. 127, here)

10)  Over the past five years, Carnival Cruise Lines made more than $11 billion in profits, but its federal income tax rate during those years was just 1.1 percent.  (Source: The New York Times here)

Meanwhile these large corporations paid:

Quote: fantom

I must have missed that post, Byron, and don't you think you're overreacting. The opinion pieces at Fox News are clearly labeled, while the small brain washing at MSNBC isn't, ever. The bias of the main stream liberal media only contributes more to it.

Wish we could get back to disagreeing about aviation stuff, because at least we don't call those we disagree with nazis there, and unlike here, we can actually learn something about flying.

Sadly, I was way under 50 when I purchased my Mooney.

GE is included, (#3).  You and I paid more taxes than 7 out of these ten companies.    Can you not see a huge problem with that? 

Immelt is Obama's "Jobs Czar".   I do have a problem with that.  Same old "cut taxes" so we can be more profitable and create jobs. You know, thats what they say.   That's an argument I cannot follow.   You would think with over 80 Billion in cash they could do that already.

Quote: alex

Your favorite news source forgot to include GE which paid nothing in taxes. But really, If Obama doesn't mind it why should you?. After all isn't Jeff Immelt GE's CEO, and isn't he some kind of jobs guru, advisor or czar for the current capable administration? I go back to my past observation. You seem to give very loud lip service to the poor but it seems to me you are hoarding your wealth. Give up the races, the Mooney and the money and then you will have everyones attention. By the way I am only 38 and bought my first plane 10 years ago, without a government subsidy!

The history of mankind has been linked by great monuments . Leadership requires followers. Followers require payment . Payment requires taxation or spoils of war. All the other stuff that evolves or revolves around these endeavors is what most of us spend our lives doing or supporting in some fashion. What looks like a giant FUBAR to some is monument building to others.

Not all are paid the same from slave to master but all are paid in a fashion due their worth.  Slavery has never been abolished , real leaders have just raised the minimum wage and benefits package.  Wink

These are the thoughts of a sleepingsquirrel.

post-6326-13468140576588_thumb.jpg

post-6326-13468140576783_thumb.jpg

post-6326-13468140576839_thumb.jpg

post-6326-13468140576864_thumb.jpg

Quote: Seth

Fellow Mooneyspacers - please cease the political banter.  A joke or two here or there is fine, or maybe we'll create another forum for it, but we've done a very good job of keeping MooneySpace clean and clear of politics for years now - let's keep it that way. 

I vote for airplane talk.

Take care, and for those of you out there, have an easy fast.

-Seth

Quote: Becca

True, but there's more to the story. The truth is that it created a market for bad loans (bundled mortgage securities) because they seemed to be performing. As it turned out, these folks were robbing their HELOCs to pay their mortgages. When the Ponzi-esque behavior reached the end, the mortgage security market came to a halt and any institution with mortgages on it's books could no longer sell them. This led to banks not meeting their cash reserves required by the Fed, it also led to insolvency, which led to Fed bank takeovers, which led to runs on banks, which led to a complete and first class CF...

Quote: alex

Your favorite news source forgot to include GE which paid nothing in taxes. But really, If Obama doesn't mind it why should you?. After all isn't Jeff Immelt GE's CEO, and isn't he some kind of jobs guru, advisor or czar for the current capable administration? I go back to my past observation. You seem to give very loud lip service to the poor but it seems to me you are hoarding your wealth. Give up the races, the Mooney and the money and then you will have everyones attention. By the way I am only 38 and bought my first plane 10 years ago, without a government subsidy!

Quote: RJBrown

I shall now rant.

As if that's not what I always do.

Someone metioned ethanol.

ETHANOL SUBSIDIES suck

Bad for cars, bad for environment, bad for economy but good for the ag lobby.

There are no redeeming graces for ethanol in motor fuel, none what so ever.

The way our government works we are stuck with a crappy motor fuel that we can't use in airplanes.

Ruins our cars, makes our food cost more and has a net negative impact on the ecology.

All because some lobby bought off someone in government.

• Sad 1