Control Rods

HopePilot

I was wondering how often the control rods should be replaced?  I'm just trying to think proactively as parts are taking so long to get.  I was thinking maybe I should try to start replacing a section every year...

Heck, if I order the parts now, I might have them by the time I need them.

I don't see any reason to replace the rods at all, much less proactively--the only part that wears, the bearing, can be replaced independently of the rod.  The bearings are standard parts, not Mooney-specific.  Replace when they're worn enough to need replacing, not before.

As far as I know they are replaced on-condition i.e., when they wear out.

I'm holding in my hand a pair of new rods that go from the rudder peddal assembly to the steering horn as there is slop in my steering and the bearings in each of those is where (some of) the play is... the nice thing is that as airplane parts go they are not expensive, these were $25 each. I called Lake Aero and had them in my hand the next day. Great guys up there. As far as I know these are not custom mooney parts, and should be readily available.

Checked at annual? It probably depends on how thorough your IA is. Note that all rod ends have to be lubricated at annual per AD. This is an excellent time to go through each one and check for play.

I was not aware that you could replace the bearings alone in them, though. Not denying it, but it looks like the bearing ass'y is pressed in there with a machine tool of some sort?!