Mooney pilot network in Phoenix?

2jbens

Hi all,

I'm a prospective Mooney owner in the Phoenix area (Scottsdale). I'm looking for an aircraft to fly the family on fun excursions throughout the Southwest and California. Since I'll need to deal with the mountains and high density altitudes, it seems like turbocharging is the way to go. From my initial research, it seems like the M20K (231 or 252) would be a great fit for my family of three. It's quick, efficient, relatively inexpensive, and has performance for the mountains.

However, I've never owned an aircraft before, and I've never been in a Mooney to see if it "fits".  Are there any owners in the Phoenix area who would be willing to lend a newbie a hand and share their thoughts on how the M20Ks work in AZ, CO, and CA? Also, would I be able to sit in one (and maybe even fly as a passenger)?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome aboard, 2jbens. I am sure you will be getting feedback fairly soon from some of the MSers out in your area.

If you are asking about "fit" from a physical size, do not let the talk of Mooneys being a "small" plane concern you. Several of us flying them top out well over 6' and have not seen 200 lbs. in a while. I am 6'5" and have flown with my wife in the co-pilot seat and son in back. While she is 5'5", my son goes 6'8" most days and is usually asleep before we hit cruise altitude.

Stand by for more responses.

I think @Yetti has us all with his 6'9" in his F model. And the K will likely have a fully adjustable pilot seat, so clearance should be good. And the glare shield is fairly tall (my wife complains she cannot see the runway when we takeoff or land) so height is useful in the plane.

Welcome aboard, 2jb.

Got any aviation experience that you may want to tell us about?  If we know something about you, it makes the recommendations a better fit.

The M20K and its lineage are great world traveling machines...

One is currently circumnavigating the globe and reporting positions over Africa....

On the other hand, the M20K would be a very expensive trainer for primary flight instruction.

Best regards,

-a-

Carusoam,

Sure, I'm a longtime professional pilot (USAF C-130/T-1A, short stint at UAL pre-9/11, corporate Falcons/Gulfstreams). 

I have very little piston aircraft experience, but I would like to begin doing more personal (maybe "real"?) flying with my family. I've thought about it on and off for years, but now that my son is approaching the end of high school, I've decided it is time to get on with it and have some fun with him and my wife. We love, and have family in, Colorado, want to escape the heat by going to northern AZ, and I have a brother in SoCal. 

My guess is an aircraft which can go about 500nm with the three of us and handle high density altitudes should work well. From everything I've seen, the M20K is great bang for the buck. Not sure anything else comes close to the speed, capability and operating costs for what I would like to do with it.

That said, I'm green when it comes to small aircraft and aircraft ownership, so I'd love to find a local network or mentor I can turn to to help avoid the plethora of pitfalls this aviation disease can cause.

Cheers and happy flying!

• Like 1

You have come to the right place, 2jb! :)

For pilots beginning their first Mooney search, a few topics come up all the time...

1) where to find some...  All American Aircraft, a Mooney seller and great knowledge resource.

2) how to know it is a worthy example... PPI pre-purchase inspection.  Low cost, full cost, mooney mechanic, MSC...

3) Best way to get it home...

4) Insurance and finance... less pilot related but something specific to plane ownership.

5) Transition Training... all the details that are good to have experience in, related specifically to the airplane you bought.

6) MAPA training... a great resource for an owner to have.

7) Weight and balance... some of the most refined M20Ks are called 252s.  With refinement comes additional weight. Check the useful load for your usual missions.

fun times ahead...

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, 2jbens said:

I'm a prospective Mooney owner in the Phoenix area (Scottsdale). I'm looking for an aircraft to fly the family on fun excursions throughout the Southwest and California. Since I'll need to deal with the mountains and high density altitudes, it seems like turbocharging is the way to go. From my initial research, it seems like the M20K (231 or 252) would be a great fit for my family of three. It's quick, efficient, relatively inexpensive, and has performance for the mountains. However, I've never owned an aircraft before, and I've never been in a Mooney to see if it "fits".  Are there any owners in the Phoenix area who would be willing to lend a newbie a hand and share their thoughts on how the M20Ks work in AZ, CO, and CA? Also, would I be able to sit in one (and maybe even fly as a passenger)?

I'm in Tucson but it is an easy enough flight to SDL/DVT. I have a 231 and this year have already helped two others  (both from Tucson) find and buy, then did their transition training into Mooney M20Ks. One was a 231 and one was a 252. I'm going to be out of town the most of the rest of the month (Alaskan cruise) but we can meet up next month some time.

1 minute ago, carusoam said:

Interesting intro to Mooney flying...

Ken Reed has recently posted some 360° videos in YouTube...

https://youtu.be/PzJeMSV2v9o

Good point. These are best viewed in the YouTube iPad app as you can control the camera through the full 360º. Safari gives a strange image, Chrome works but the iPad app is the best way to view these. They are videos from earlier this year of some trips to Mexico with the Flying Samaritans.  My Youtube "channel" should be at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd424YRJsGJbZdDqIy6-n9A

• Like 1

Just now, gsxrpilot said:

If you need a good AME in Scottsdale, look up http://www.aviationdoc.net. Dr. Chuck 'Cowboy' Crinnian flies a 231 and is also Flight Director for the Mooney Caravan. I'm sure he'd be happy to give you a ride in his K.

I highly recommend Chuck. Great guy !

• Like 1

Good luck on your Mooney search. Earlier this year I purchased an M20C. I love that plane. We live in the Phoenix area. Mesa (KFFZ) to be more precise. We too want to visit family, which are spread all over the country. In April I flew it from Alabama to Mesa. Because of bad weather in Texas we (2 average size adults) needed to fly north over some of the Rockies. Even without a turbo charger we were able to get to 13500 ft without a problem. With a turbo charger I'm confident you could fly anywhere in Colorado or Utah. I figured that will take care of most of Arizona altitude requirements and a lot of the high country out west. I would be glad to show you my Mooney any time. It is however, currently in the shop getting some avionics work done. Because it is fire fighting season the people at the shop have to divide their time between my plane and keeping their King Airs working the fires. It should be out of the shop in a couple of weeks.  In my opinion you won't ever be sorry you bought a Mooney. Great on gas a great looking airplane. 

If you're in co for a visit we can go up in the rocket.

If you said so, I missed it. How much weight are we talking here? Space shouldn't be an issue but weight will be. I find the Mooney perfect for two and bags and a cooler in the back seat. We're loaded to the gills weight and space wise but I'm also carrying 600lbs of fuel 

Thanks peevee! I'll be up in the Rifle/Glenwood Springs area after the 4th of July.

As far as weight goes, the three of us are somewhere between 500-525 lbs, and I'd like to be able to go approximately 3 hours with reserve. My estimate is approx 60 gal fuel load for that, so 875lbs-ish plus some bags. We travel light, and we won't be going on extended trips, so I'd guess I should be in decent shape.

(Trying to be smart about getting the right aircraft for most missions. Of course, I'd love to be able to take 1500 lbs, four hours at 200kts on 8gph - if any of you can find that unicorn, please let me know...)

Gws is an interesting airport.. not sure I can swing a trip in there but I can shoot for maybe Wednesday I think the 5th depending in what's going on. I haven't had the rocket into gws just our last 231. 

I have to go to Iowa that Saturday to get some dogs.

38 minutes ago, 2jbens said:

(Of course, I'd love to be able to take 1500 lbs, four hours at 200kts on 8gph - if any of you can find that unicorn, please let me know...)

I will be glad to let you know if I find that plane - right after I close the purchase of it! :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2jbens said:

I'm flying into RIL, and weather permitting, we'll be there from around 7/7-7/11.

That might not work, the 8th I have to fly to Iowa to pick up some puppies, then work the 9th and 10th. Maybe the 11th.