Power Settings?

8 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

It might be sacrilege but I'd differ just a bit for the turbo Mooneys. We don't lean at all in the climb. But it's a good article.

Paul- Having no experience with turbo Mooneys, I should have qualified my statement.  Regarding normally-aspirated Mooneys, I think the article really clears up any uncertainty regarding climb power settings.

2 minutes ago, Fred_2O said:

Paul- Having no experience with turbo Mooneys, I should have qualified my statement.  Regarding normally-aspirated Mooneys, I think the article really clears up any uncertainty regarding climb power settings.

No worries, it's a good article. 

Thanks all for the advice - the trip was great!  I was able to climb nicely at near gross weight (4 people bags and 35GAL fuel) to 11500 at about 105-120MPH with the oil and cylinder temps looking good.  Got over the big clouds in our area and pitched down to maintain altitude for about a minute or two and then double checked instruments and then closed cowl flaps, set RPM to 2500 and leaned.  On descent I just pushed forward and reduced throttle and watched my temperatures and pressures and everything seemed fine, adding a little mixture every couple minutes or so until close to my airport then opened cowl flaps and GUMPS at pattern altitude and greased the landing.  Same thing both ways (except 8500ft on the way back).

Thanks to you all, thanks to Bob Kromer for that article, and thanks to Don Kaye for his landing videos, and thanks to Paul Kortopates for the great instruction (looking forward to more!).

My brother caught one of the landings on video - besides letting my crosswind move me a little left of center line - I kept to the mooney numbers in the pattern and across the fence, "flared" at ground effect, then let it rest nicely so that the passengers didn't even feel the wheels touching the ground.  I'm so happy we bought this plane!!!  I love that we could actually fit 4 people and some bags and a decent amount of fuel for a short trip (as opposed to the Cessna 172 I was renting) and it is really fun to fly!

• Like 2