Third Class Medical Reform - Third time should be a charm

Just now, teejayevans said:

My current Doc is a nonactive pilot, if looking for a new doc, go into waiting room, check the magazines, if any flying magazines around, that's the doc you want.

After moving, it looked on the AME list and ended up at a pediatrician. He's commercial rated and has well-loved, faded airplane pictures and posters in the exam room I used. Not sure what's in the ones for the ped's. Guess I'll go see him again this fall . . . Cash only, I think it was $105. Waited forever past my appointment, but that happens a lot new patients (I have lots of experience being a new patient, more so than I have experience with patience! :P )

4 hours ago, Hank said:

After moving, it looked on the AME list and ended up at a pediatrician. He's commercial rated and has well-loved, faded airplane pictures and posters in the exam room I used. Not sure what's in the ones for the ped's. Guess I'll go see him again this fall . . . Cash only, I think it was $105. Waited forever past my appointment, but that happens a lot new patients (I have lots of experience being a new patient, more so than I have experience with patience! :P )

So you were in the waiting room with a dozen screaming kids?

31 minutes ago, Hank said:

More . . . What a great way to spend 45 minutes . . . Don't forget each kid had a parent, too. 

Great - a dozen screaming kids and a dozen screaming parents.

My medical is on July 11.  Can't wait for the fun.  Please make the fun go away before next time my medical comes up after that.

8 hours ago, N803RM said:

When I did my SI 3rd class several weeks ago, I asked what the effect of the PBOR2 would be on me.  I was told that the FAA hasn't figured out how they are going to handle SI.

My SI is for a mild heart attack 8 years ago, and now diabetes.   I have no heart symptoms at all, and am very active still.   Diabetes is being controlled with diet.   My personal Dr. is not a fan of my flying, but she does realize that I am doing regular medical check ups to keep my medical, will I be seeing her as much without a medical hanging over my head and wings??

Like the 3rd class medical, Special Issuances (SI) are not going away.  FAA will handle them as before.  No change is foreseen, planned, or desired (this from the horse's mouth).  

Withstanding the above, in a PBOR2 world, opting out of the medical might particularly make sense for those requiring an SI that is onerous and expensive to maintain (e.g. treadmill testing every couple years).  Again, though, what AME would PBOR2 "certify" you if you haven't met standard FAA medical testing requirements for flight?

In a PBOR2 world, the best doc probably is over 80 years old and doesn't have flying magazines but rather John Birch Society pamphlets scattered about the office with a picture of Ron Paul and family hanging on the walls...

Hum, I'm thinking giving my friendly AME about $100 every 2 years might continue to be the simplest course. I had the impression that the third class medical reform was going to mean that having a driving licence would allow self evaluation if one had had a 3rd class and had not been rejected. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Hum, I'm thinking giving my friendly AME about $100 every 2 years might continue to be the simplest course. I had the impression that the third class medical reform was going to mean that having a driving licence would allow self evaluation if one had had a 3rd class and had not been rejected. 

Agreed, since when has the government made a change that made things better

• Like 1

Recipe for rabbit stew: First catch a rabbit. We don't really know what will actually be the final wordings of the PBOR 2 yet. So far the simple "driver's license" concept looks doomed. A lot of speculation here, but I suspect we will have to wait a while longer to find out if any improvement has been accomplished. I doubt it.

What we have in legislation has been so screwed up with amendments it isn't much of an improvement, it hardly resembles what was intended.

My thought is our best chance now is to wait for the new administration and push the FAA version (whatever that was) through DOT with the new secretary.

• Like 1