Flying Past Atlanta

Hank

At last! Good Lord willing and the forecast holds, I'll be bringing my Mooney south this weekend!! Woo-hooo! It's been 10 weeks, but who's counting?

Anyway, I'll be coming VFR since my currency has lapsed, and will need to pass Atlanta on the west. Direct puts me over the top of Cartersville [VPC] heading 208º magnetic. This will put me 1 nm inside the veil from Pauling [PUJ] to due east of West Georgia Regional [CTJ]. Let's say I'm at either 8500 or 10,500 msl.

There is no way that ATL Approach won't vector me off to the west. Any idea how far is common? What should I expect?

I hate not being able to go IFR, but I don't see that happening. I'm not far enough out to need an IPC, but I do need to shoot several approaches and do a hold somewhere. Sounds like a good opportunity to meet some local pilots, it's just the Auburn airport [AUO] is somewhat larger and fancier than what I'm used to, and they have no Pilots Association to hang out with.

Thanks for your words of advice on this matter. Anyone coming down this way, let me know. I may even be able to score some football tickets this fall.

• Like 1

Coming from the north, they will probably direct you over NELLO then RMG. But I would fly direct under the deck. They don't like you above 6'000 in the NW quadrant because of the arrivals from that direction. 10'500 will put you right in the middle of the heavy iron. IFR, I always gets directed well around. VFR - 90% of the time they put me right through if I am below the deck. 

this is typical for my flight from marrietta to perry.  it's an ifr flight, but it may give you an idea of how far out they like.  I've done vfr before, and you can stay closer to hartsfield if you fly lower.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N6099Q/history/20140209/1930Z/KRYY/KPXE

btw, we need to get me, you and gus together one weekend now that you're in the deep south.

At last! Good Lord willing and the forecast holds, I'll be bringing my Mooney south this weekend!! Woo-hooo! It's been 10 weeks, but who's counting?

Anyway, I'll be coming VFR since my currency has lapsed, and will need to pass Atlanta on the west. Direct puts me over the top of Cartersville [VPC] heading 208º magnetic. This will put me 1 nm inside the veil from Pauling [PUJ] to due east of West Georgia Regional [CTJ]. Let's say I'm at either 8500 or 10,500 msl.

There is no way that ATL Approach won't vector me off to the west. Any idea how far is common? What should I expect?

I hate not being able to go IFR, but I don't see that happening. I'm not far enough out to need an IPC, but I do need to shoot several approaches and do a hold somewhere. Sounds like a good opportunity to meet some local pilots, it's just the Auburn airport [AUO] is somewhat larger and fancier than what I'm used to, and they have no Pilots Association to hang out with.

Thanks for your words of advice on this matter. Anyone coming down this way, let me know. I may even be able to score some football tickets this fall.

I dropped a coworker off at AUO yesterday. The East side seemed pretty fancy and tied in with the university's flight program. Perhaps the locals hang out on the West Side? Traffic was pretty busy.

Hi Hank,

I take it you'll be on flight following which is why you care about any of this? My recommendation is to cancel flight following if they start to vector you around and just go low underneath the Bravo airspace. I cruise around out there all the time at 3000'-4000' and it's a great way to see the scenery and enjoy the flight.  Doesn't seem like it will be too bumpy down low these next few days, either.

• Like 1

Jeff is correct.  Just stay below the Class B by at least 500' and do whatever you like.  The only caviat is that if you're going through the final approach course on the west side when ATL is landing east, you might want to be 1000' below the B to avoid any possible blow down wake turbulence from the heavy iron.

+2 on Rob's suggestion that we get together.

Here is my flight today from North Carolina to CTJ. Like others have said, the best method to deal with ATL class B is to go VFR beneath the airspace. Occaisionally, but rarely, they let me fly through the B at 7,500'

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N918TH

For whatever reason ATC tagged me as an MU-2today!

And, War Eagle!

Lee

(Auburn BSEE, '77)

Here is my flight today from North Carolina to CTJ. Like others have said, the best method to deal with ATL class B is to go VFR beneath the airspace. Occaisionally, but rarely, they let me fly through the B at 7,500'

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N918TH

For whatever reason ATC tagged me as an MU-2today!

And, War Eagle!

Lee

(Auburn BSEE, '77)

WAR EAGLE!!

Thanks, guys. I just reached WV a little while ago. Looking forward to a good trip back on Sunday.

Gus & Rob, let's do a lunch soon. It's great to be back in the South, and better to be back in The Loveliest Village on the Plains.

WAAAAAR EAGLE!!! You too, Rob. :-)

The more the merrier, Jeff. We need to set up Southeast Mooney group . . . We're letting Texas and NJ walk all over us. Maybe a lunch will be a good time to talk it over.

Hank, we actually have a Southeast Mooney group, but we need to inject some new vigor into it. I've tried to keep things going and have arranged a few events but it's time consuming. There's a mailing list as well, but the guy who runs it has dropped off the map and I can't get him to add any more names. But we have a Facebook page as well, just go to Facebook and look for "mooniacs" and that's it. Also, not updated recently because I haven't had a lot of time for it. If you would like to step in and start helping out that would be most welcome.

Hank, we actually have a Southeast Mooney group, but we need to inject some new vigor into it. I've tried to keep things going and have arranged a few events but it's time consuming. There's a mailing list as well, but the guy who runs it has dropped off the map and I can't get him to add any more names. But we have a Facebook page as well, just go to Facebook and look for "mooniacs" and that's it. Also, not updated recently because I haven't had a lot of time for it. If you would like to step in and start helping out that would be most welcome.

SE-Mooney mailing list

SE-Mooney@southeastmooney.org

http://www.southeastmooney.org/mailman/listinfo/se-mooney

Hank, you better be careful....there might be an Alabama fan lurking somewhere in that organization!   :o

Thanks for the advice, guys. All Atlanta Approach said was "remain clear of Class Bravo, maintain VFR at or below 8500." I had climbed from 8500 to 10500 coming past Knoxville, where I found cloud bases right there; I was above them before 9500. So I descended to 6500 the rest of the way down. ATL gave me "direct to Auburn" just after I passed VPC.

Other than being really uncomfortable from treetop level to ~4000 msl [winds had a 15 knot crosswind gust factor, and a low=level wind shear alert], and there was frequent intermittent moderate turbulence over eastern Kentucky, but the flight was good. Headwinds were ugly; 377 nm in 3.6 hours! Started at 102 knots over WV, and slowly accelerated to ~120 south of Atlanta. It feels good to have her here, now I can scoot around much, much easier.

Jim--I think I used to get SE Mooney emails, but not in the last year or so . . . I'll help out if I can.

Gus--We're used to them sneaking around, but it's really hard to hide an elephant.  :P

Anthony--I also have not heard from Andrew in a while. Didn't he have a G painted in LSU colors? Thanks for your support, but here in Auburn we say "Go Tigers! War Eagle!!" I guess just having one mascot isn't enough. When I was a student here with Bo Jackson, War Eagle VI's name was Tiger, and he lived in the largest outdoor aviary in the nation, right in the middle of campus near the stadium. There's a building there now, and War Eagle VII, Nova, lives out at the vet school a couple or three miles away. But, thank you for your support!

Ya'll take care, I'm tired . . . .

• Like 1

Thanks, it's great to be back. I've been working here planeless since the beginning of Feb. Now I just need to get the wife down here and the WV house sold, and all will be good. At least now it's not 9 hours each way any more.

Hank, my son is starting at the engineering school at Auburn in the fall. I will be over there a good bit and will hopefully run into you. Btw, he already has his PPL and will be in the flight program as well. Auburn is a nice field and is towered for home games.

Regards, Frank

Sounds like a quorum. Let's pick a weekend at KAUO. 

Any weekend works except for Memorial Day and the weekend after.

The Auburn field is much nicer from inside the fence than I thought from my couple of visits there. I'm on the waiting list for a spot in the hangars under construction by the approach end of 18 [freshly graded, no concrete or steel yet].

Hank, my son is starting at the engineering school at Auburn in the fall. I will be over there a good bit and will hopefully run into you. Btw, he already has his PPL and will be in the flight program as well. Auburn is a nice field and is towered for home games.

Regards, Frank

Hope to see you, Frank. I'm an ME from Auburn, it's not any easier now I'm sure. Let's keep in touch.