FYI - Camguard and Continental Motors

1TJ

Continental Motors will begin requiring the use of Camguard in all of their Mattituck overhauls and repaired engines to maintain their warranties.

The formal announcement of our relationship will be announced at Sun n Fun.

Ed

Edward Kollin

Technical Director

Aircraft Specialties Lubricants

• Like 1

Congratulations on the endorsement Ed! That ought to help sway some people that it's not just snake oil. However, I am a little confused, why only rebuilds and repairs? Why not the new engines too?

Is anyone going to change to Camguard based on this?? I am changing my oil next week and curious!! I don't want to be the only one not going it. Lol. Thanks. Troy

Congratulations on the endorsement Ed! That ought to help sway some people that it's not just snake oil. However, I am a little confused, why only rebuilds and repairs? Why not the new engines too?

Baby steps. Huge momentum to overcome.  First the Continental Service Center became a Camguard dealer. Now this endorsement.

Ed  

• Like 2

I've been using aeroshell 100plus for quite a while. Any advantage to using camguard along with it? Don't think it would hurt but would it be best to be used with the Phillips 20/50? My mechanic is sold on the 100plus but I used the camguard with the phillips in my Cherokee before and I was pleased with it. I just feel the need to "baby" the mooney a bit more so was wondering what most of you used. I have a 67 M20F.

I've been using Camguard almost from the start when I got my plane two years ago based on Mike Busch's vid on oil. I don't quite take everything he says as gospel but I guess close to it. I envy him a bit. Wish I was set up ($$$) so I could fly a 310 enough to take two engines well past TBO. I use Aeroshell 100  and add camguard or occasionally Aeroshell 100 plus which MB says has the same additives just a bit less. In winter (Maine) I did switch to multigrade but ended not flying it (M20E) so switched again to Aeroshell 2F pickling oil and dessicant plugs. The Avweb oil vid is pretty good. 

Ed,

Is there a time to hold-off using Camguard after OH still?

Bet regards,

-a-

Yes, Continental is changing their break-in procedure some based on information I provided.

I recommend oil changes at 1-2 hours then again 10-12 hours later. After the second oil change add Camguard and use a 25 hour change schedule. 

Ed

Continental Motors will begin requiring the use of Camguard in all of their Mattituck overhauls and repaired engines to maintain their warranties.

Please clarify Mr. Kollin.

My impression based on your statement is that the warranty on these engines you mention is null and void if owner does not use your additive?

Is this correct?

With all this new business the price is going to drop, right?

We have not increased our prices in 12 years even though our material costs have gone up 12-15%. Whereas we now buy material in drums we would need to buy it in truckloads to see discounts of 5-8%.

Ed

I've been using aeroshell 100plus for quite a while. Any advantage to using camguard along with it? Don't think it would hurt but would it be best to be used with the Phillips 20/50? My mechanic is sold on the 100plus but I used the camguard with the phillips in my Cherokee before and I was pleased with it. I just feel the need to "baby" the mooney a bit more so was wondering what most of you used. I have a 67 M20F.

There is no comparison between the W100+ and the W100 with Camguard. You get 25 time the concentration of rust inhibitor, dramatically better anti-wear and Camguard is the only lube product to offer deposit control. These reasons are behind Continental's decision.

Ed  

• Like 1

My impression based on your statement is that the warranty on these engines you mention is null and void if owner does not use your additive?

Is this correct?

Correct.

Ed

Would you please post literature from Continental Motors to that effect?

Specifically on the warranty being null and void without your additive.

There is nothing in print as of yet. The details have to be finalized.

The announcement will come next week in Lakeland.

Ed

There is nothing in print as of yet. The details have to be finalized.

The announcement will come next week in Lakeland.

Ed

What announcement is that?

Surely you must have something to substantiate your claim!

What do you have from Continental Motors on the program?

Specifically on the warranty being voided without your additive.

Is this correct?

This must be a very bad day for you considering the recent posts about how tempest plugs are night and day better than champions and now holy moly your gonna be required to use camguard if you buy one of their reman engines, is your world coming to an end:) sorry couldn't resist!

I thank Ed Collins and Mike Busch for contributing there time and knowledge to help educate GA pilots as it pertains to engine maintenance.

• Like 2