VFR Trip Planning / Paper Sectionals vs Electronics

Regardless if I’m flying IFR or VFR I use both.  My trip the past weekend I was experiencing trouble with my portable GPS so no charts, procedures, ADSB weather etc. available electronically.  I used the paper charts and other information available to make a safe planed IFR flight.  During an approach I always have my destination and alternate approach plates in paper form and have the electronic for backup and for any diversions.  I like the geo-referenced approach plates and charts since it gives you good situational awareness.

IMHO going all one way or the other is handicapping you in the present environment.  I was able to make my flight because I had the paper versions of all the navigation material I needed and I knew that when leaving for my trip.  Had I been on the trip and experienced the problem before my return home I might not have been able to acquire the right information to make the flight.  Many airports today do not keep paper charts and procedures in stock especially for an airport that might be 500NM away and on an different chart.

I was just reading the "Data Depravity" post. When it comes to buying Garmin Pilot it doesn't give the price of yearly subscription updates. Can anyone comment on the yearly cost of using these electronic goodies? VFR vs IFR? I hadn't thought much about that part.

Garmin pilot starts at $ 74.99 / year for basic subscription that gives you all the navigational functions, weather, sectionals, A/FD, instrument procedures.

For anther $ 74.99 / year you will get Premium IFR package that includes Safe Taxi with georeference, Terrain / Obstacle, Synthetic Vision and georeferenced instrument charts and plates.

Garmin pilot starts at $ 74.99 / year for basic subscription that gives you all the navigational functions, weather, sectionals, A/FD, instrument procedures.

For anther $ 74.99 / year you will get Premium IFR package that includes Safe Taxi with georeference, Terrain / Obstacle, Synthetic Vision and georeferenced instrument charts and plates.

So far so good but is that a teaser rate or is it the yearly subscription? I hate the "now that we got you, here's the real price" companies. Been looking for the fine print but haven't found it yet.

So far so good but is that a teaser rate or is it the yearly subscription? I hate the "now that we got you, here's the real price" companies. Been looking for the fine print but haven't found it yet.

Competition I believe is holding the price in check. Both ForeFlight and Garmin are close in renewal prices. WingX may be a little higher because of the geo-referenced charts. One good thing, is if you didn't buy a Startus or GDL-39, switching cost is cheap. Let it expire and buy another app version.