Mooney Cross country trip (almost cross continent) facts

yvesg

Me and the wife arrived yesterday from our trip to California. We departed Dec 27th with inclement weather. Here are some facts from this trip:

Going to leg:

Departure point : CYRO (Ottawa canada), Dep: Dec 27th

Destination: KLGB (Long beach, CA), Arrived: Dec 31st, just in time for New Year!

returning leg:

departure point: KLGB dep: Jan 7th

destination: CYND (Gatineau, Qc) Arrived: jan 9th

Most hours flown in a day were 7

Most FBOs we stopped at at the end of day were organized to provide ground transportation (crew car or other)

Best quality / price FBO we ran into: Borger TX

Least quality / price FBO we ran into: St Clair county (Port Hope) MI

Highest altitude flown: 10500 feet

fastest groundspeed: 179 knots

Total flight time, approx 36 hours

Economical fuel consumption: measured at 8.5 gallons per hour for one hop.

Oil comsumption: 2.0 quarts for the entire trip

Our best thanks to Lacee and wife we visited in El Paso

Our best thanks to Henry (N4474H) for arrangements in LB and formation (whale watching) flight

This long journey greatly increased my confidence in my Mooney airplane. There was no mechanical issue whatsoever during that trip.

We really enjoyed the south weather while we were there and our families up north would be frozen to minus 30 degrees.

Thanks

Yves

C-FQKM

Yvesg,

Glad your trip was successful and safe.  Also thanks for including and staying with us as part of your adventure, my wife and I enjoyed meeting and our time with you two and hope to see you and Diane again (maybe something like Oshkosh...).  I am looking forward to some formation flying with you guys!!

Great report,

Stay in touch

Lacee

Oh by the way me and several others want to know if you had to use that "essential flight equipment" that you took with you on the adventure when you got home....? You know the foreign thing I am talking about A, the one with about the 1 Meter wooden shaft (Yvesg does the metric thing you know) with a handle on one end and the somewhat worn aluminum high capacity element on the other end...?

Oh by the way me and several others want to know if you had to use that "essential flight equipment" that you took with you on the adventure when you got home....? You know the foreign thing I am talking about A, the one with about the 1 Meter wooden shaft (Yvesg does the metric thing you know) with a handle on one end and the somewhat worn aluminum high capacity element on the other end...?

Nope! However this item was the best to make people laugh. We have not encountered any significant snow accumulation during our trip. The line where snow on the ground start to appear is somewhere around Kansas at this point. Not sure if it is the same every year.

Yves