'67 Mooney on Ebay

Just ran across this Mooney on Ebay-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ULTIMATE-MOONEY-HAS-IT-ALL-AND-FREE-DELIVERY-/271000141830?pt=Motors_Aircraft&hash=item3f18de0006#ht_1678wt_1152

Looks like a ton of goodies for the price and I wish I had the cash if it were everthing it said it was.  

Don

Good catch, belittle. This is the Uboat that was chopped up, then put back together by a salvage operator. As soon as I saw it was in E. Tennessee, I thought of the guy there who keeps foisting rebuilt salvage planes. But I didn't remember that N number.

Chuck M.

That looks just like the plane I want... and for the right price... but this forum certantly has made me think again about that!!

Has anyone here actually bought a plane off Ebay? It looks like you bid and buy, not chance for an inspection... is that how it works, or do you get a chance to inspect a plane?

Quote: tlandrum

That looks just like the plane I want... and for the right price... but this forum certantly has made me think again about that!!

Has anyone here actually bought a plane off Ebay? It looks like you bid and buy, not chance for an inspection... is that how it works, or do you get a chance to inspect a plane?

Interesting the N on the outside is 199Q yet the panel has 9218M

Could it be an amalgamation of TWO "totaled" airplanes ?

199Q just registered in May to M20E s/n 1179

This from the "web"

SALVAGE BID LETTER. AIRCRAFT: 1966 Mooney M20E, N9218M, Serial No. 1179

Same plane.

BILL

It's still registered to the same indivudal.

Quote from E-bay auction

"I AM QUITTING THE BUSINESS AFTER 50 YEARS. THIS IS MY MOONEY, I HAVE HAD ALMOST EVERY PLANE BUILT OVER THOSE 50 YEARS AND THIS IS THE ONE I CHOOSE TO KEEP. NOW I AM  OLDER AND IT IS TIME TO HANG IT UP"

Quote: tlandru

Quote: Newguy

Hi Folks

I haven't been on in a while until a call this morning from a prospective buyer of this aircraft.  I have knowledge of this aircraft....I think although not absolutely certain.  This appears to be salvaged aircraft N9218M , mooney M20c 1967 that was submerged in a Tennesee River Flood.  Completely submerged.  The owner was a guy by the name of Kevin George and Jerry Presley worked with Kevin.  The FAA site no longer has N9218M as an active serial number and this serial n199Q is the same year and model as was N9218M so I smell a rat.

But let's also be clear because I do not wish to misrepresent anything.  N9218M was in ten pieces 2 years ago and was completely riveted back together and if the shop did a good job then it could be fine.....buyer beware.

Do all the necessary searched on the NTSB site as well as FAA site.  You'll find the truth.

Gary

Quote: tlandrum

that new 200 hr engine, aspen,jpi and other stuff was already in the plane when it was submerged.  the ony thing new is the paint  peter stated the aspen was unairworthy  go back and read the old threads

the owner killed his own son in another one of his pieced together pieces of junk

Quote: Becca

Just thinking out loud on this, the bid right now is at $38k.  If you could actually get it for $38k, its could be worth that in parts, even if you discard the structure, you a a 200 hr TSN factory engine and quite a few pretty avionics.  Take at the log book and see what was added / installed after the plane was submersed and keep that, discard everything else, wonder what you'd end up with..

Quote: Becca

Just thinking out loud on this, the bid right now is at $38k.  If you could actually get it for $38k, its could be worth that in parts, even if you discard the structure, you a a 200 hr TSN factory engine and quite a few pretty avionics.  Take at the log book and see what was added / installed after the plane was submersed and keep that, discard everything else, wonder what you'd end up with..

Quote: drapo

I bought a Cherokee back in 2007 on Ebay. From the start, the seller mentionned that it was a binding bid, but I was the buyer and would'nt have paid for it if it didn't pass my inspection. So, after the inspection, I paid the seller and left with the airplane. No regrets, this one was in good condition.

But, even though on Ebay a winning bid is a binding contract, you have to be satisfied the merchandise you buy is in good condition or at least as described. If not, walk away from the deal! If you did a serious inspection, and are not satisfied, just  pay for relisting fees and maybe you'll get a negative feedback you can easily explain!

Just as a FYI. That engine was not dissasembled, clean and reassembled. It was not pickled or purged after the incident. The avionics were  not overhauled, the aircraft was not fogged and dried out. All of these questions I asked the buyer, and after he responded I mentioned to him that he was going to kill someone with that aircraft. So Hopefully buyer beware. We shut down his ebay auctions twice before.