Tow my Mooney

Jsavage3

Hello All

I had a situation with an M20G, pulling up an incline on grass. The strain on the tail hook seemed excessive so I made a loop of 5/16 goldline nylon with hooks at each end. The hook ends are looped around the main gear, and the loop is passed through the tailhook for steering alignment only. The winch hook is simply hooked to the loop behind the tail. Now all the force is on the main gear, where the drag is (on grass).  Never had to worry about the tailhook again. Works really slick. I got the nylon line at an outdoor shop where they have climbing supplies.

Hello All I had a situation with an M20G, pulling up an incline on grass. The strain on the tail hook seemed excessive so I made a loop of 5/16 goldline nylon with hooks at each end. The hook ends are looped around the main gear, and the loop is passed through the tailhook for steering alignment only. The winch hook is simply hooked to the loop behind the tail. Now all the force is on the main gear, where the drag is (on grass). Never had to worry about the tailhook again. Works really slick. I got the nylon line at an outdoor shop where they have climbing supplies.
Can you post a picture of what you did?

I mentioned earlier a simple rope and pulley or multiple pulleys for mechanical advantage if necessary. My reasoning with this setup is you would reduce loads on the tail hook since you could physically feel loads that were too high such as parking brake, wheel chocks or other obstructions. Electric wenches are pretty dumb, they do do exactly what you tell them to do. As I said earlier, I've never tried either method but I guess I am just cautious.

We all like a good hangar wench. But I've found that while they have many skills, pushing an airplane up-slope is not one of them. At least, not the hangar wenches that I prefer. :)

I'll bet the Florida hangar wenches look nicer than the West Virginia wenches.   :D

• Like 1

We all like a good hangar wench. But I've found that while they have many skills, pushing an airplane up-slope is not one of them. At least, not the hangar wenches that I prefer. :) I'll bet the Florida hangar wenches look nicer than the West Virginia wenches. :D
The problem I have is my wench is a little one... 5'2" and 103 lbs.

The problem I have is my wench is a little one... 5'2" and 103 lbs. need to borrow my whip?
Got plenty of them, only thing is, she is better at using them than I am ;) I try to use the indentured servants (kids) when I need to get the plane in the hangar. Unfortunately, they figured that out and hide...
  • Like 1

Scan0001.pdf  

I hope this PDF file goes through.

I can not find the Goldline brand on the internet.

I suggest a 3/8 inch anchor line from West Marine, although it will probably stretch more than the hard nylon Goldline brand.

Get the "S" hooks at Tractor Supply or hardware store. Close one end with a vice or vicegrips

I tried just tieing at the main gear, but found that the knot tightens during the tow and is hard to untie, therefore, I installed the "S" hooks.

Again, I passed the rear loop through the tailhook eye, but it is not necessary. It did help on steering because it pulled the tail down slightly, and helped to aim the tail at the winch.

Finally, keep everyone away from the sides near the rope, if it breaks, the rope will whip. Use a rated rope only.

Finally, this puts the force where the drag is, at the main gear, not through your fuselage structure.Scan0001.pdf

• Like 1

If it breaks and you are using nylon rope, it certainly can whip. If using Dacron (polyester) or other low stretch line, this isn't a problem. Instead of putting a metal hook directly on the gear and risking chipped paint, take a short length of rope or nylon strap and tie in a loop. Pass this loop around what you want to tow and attach the metal hook to the two loops thus formed.

bumper

I passed the rope around the gear and hooked the rope. The hooks were not attached to the gear.

I agree that poly line is probably better and that is what the glider tow planes use.

I agree you should use any method to not scratch the paint. Your idea is great also.

I think that the more people that try this and develop it further, the better it will be.

It worked for me in my situation of towing up an incline in sod.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
As Hank mentioned in his post, I use an old riding lawn mower with the mower deck removed (basically free), I had bars and trailer hitches installed front and back($100). I can now push or pull the plane in and out of the hangar and across the airport for fuel. Very cheap ans versatile solution. Check my gallery for photos of the setup. Rainman
Can you tell me where and what you order to tow via a lawn tractor? I gave up on trying to find parts for my LugBug and have gotten a good deal on an old John Deere lawn tractor. Can you tell me where you bought and what you bought? Thanks.

I'm off to the airport today for more detailed photos of the tow bar and mower conversion connections/extension frame. I'll post them on my gallery and PM the details to anyone interested. It works great and the price was right since l already had an old working mower. Ray

• Like 1

I'm off to the airport today for more detailed photos of the tow bar and mower conversion connections/extension frame. I'll post them on my gallery and PM the details to anyone interested. It works great and the price was right since l already had an old working mower. Ray
Thanks. I have found a few manufacturers of tow bars. Be curious which brand you went with. I like the idea of the portable tow equipment, but my airport ramp can get fairly snow covers with ice spots.

I used the Brackett Universal tow bar purchased from Aircraft Spruce and it fit over the 1 7/8" ball hitches I placed front and back on my mower which has the cutting deck removed. I pull from the back of my tow vehicle when moving the plane forward, and push from the front of my tow vehicle when moving the plane backward. Please view my gallery for more photos or PM me if anyone has further questions. Ray.post-8153-0-56176800-1378144903_thumb.jppost-8153-0-07009500-1378144942_thumb.jppost-8153-0-75192100-1378144960_thumb.jp

I used the Brackett Universal tow bar purchased from Aircraft Spruce and it fit over the 1 7/8" ball hitches I placed front and back on my mower which has the cutting deck removed. I pull from the back of my tow vehicle when moving the plane forward, and push from the front of my tow vehicle when moving the plane backward. Please view my gallery for more photos or PM me if anyone has further questions. Ray.post-8153-0-56176800-1378144903_thumb.jppost-8153-0-07009500-1378144942_thumb.jppost-8153-0-75192100-1378144960_thumb.jp