Painting interior pieces while out for annual?

Hi everyone,

My 1976 mooney M20C annual is coming up next week, first one ever for me. I am having Aero Comfort, based on recomendation from this site, cover the yokes in leather and make me new carpet. I would love to get new sidepanel plastic but the 2500.00 pricetag will have to wait. Has anyone ever had experience just painting your current plastic? Mine is cracked and stuff but for now atleast having a consistent color would make a huge diffence I think. My only concern is having it chip after a while thus looking even worse what it presently is.

Any advice?

post-11297-0-78456300-1368389453_thumb.j

I took all the plastic from my '66E to a local body shop who repaired cracks, cleaned and painted all parts for under $500. This included a color coat either maroon or gray, two tone on the door, and clear top coat. The maroon was used for the lower panels including the wheel well cover. The darker color does show scratches but all in all I'm very please. We used aerosol can paints from auto supply house. This was discussed in an earlier thread, perhaps 6 months ago, and there are a few pics in one of my photo galleries.

The oriinal panels are royalite.  I have repared ABS plastic by making a slurry with small ABS plastic chips and allowing them to dissolve in MEK overnight.  Perhaps a similar slurry can be used with the Royalite as a putty filler on the backside of the panels to fix cracks and voids.

John Breda

Auto paint suppliers will match and mix a quart of "vinyl" paint for you.  I repaired my ABS pieces using fiberglass cloth and PVC glue.  The PVC glue will melt the fiberglass into the ABS making it very strong.  R/C hobby fiberglass is best, but auto repair fiberglass will work fine.  This is a fairly  easy project and you will be pleased with the results.  Lee

Auto paint suppliers will match and mix a quart of "vinyl" paint for you.  I repaired my ABS pieces using fiberglass cloth and PVC glue.  The PVC glue will melt the fiberglass into the ABS making it very strong.  R/C hobby fiberglass is best, but auto repair fiberglass will work fine.  This is a fairly  easy project and you will be pleased with the results.  Lee

I used R/C fiberglass on the inside to reinforce the plastic. I used MEK to "melt" the fiberglass into the back of the plastic. I used SEM paint. A plastic powder solvent mix available at an auto trim supply shop made a good filler for bigger areas that needed filled.