Piper Navajo Crash on Take off from FXE...

fantom

Based on the location of the crash and the description given by witnesses on the ground, (it was a PA-31 Navajo) and it lost an engine on takeoff from runway 8 and appears the pilot may have tried to turn back to the right toward the diagnol runway at FXE.  It is a horrible shame, he was so close to getting back to the airport. 

Some reports indicate one engine was out, if so, the turbine engine ( if it was the cheyenne and not a Navajo) is especially powerful, and control, even with full rudder kicked in, might not be sufficient. one witness who saw the entire incident stated that the plane was low, engine sputtering and in a right turn back to the airport and the wings at one point were totally vertical to the ground and at that point the plane just dropped straight toward the ground and exploded. From the description it sounds like the plane stalled out in the steep turn back to the airport. Just a sad and horrific incident. I don't think the pilot even considered putting it down on i95 as it was rush hour and there was no place to go. Perhaps having a better clear zone around our airports instead of having everything developed right up to the airport tarmac might in some small way help in these situations. The decisions must be made in a split second and leaves little room for error. A better clear zone around the airport may be helpful.

Actually the homeowners around these smaller airports have quite a different plan. :( They're already using this crash and the tower closure as justification to shut down HWO. We will need to be better organized than they are!

Yes, I agree. I understand a single engine Cessna on the way into KHWO this morning lost power and landed safely on state road 27. No injuries or damage to the plane but another incident where people will start to complain that planes are falling out of the sky.