Operating costs

Mooney1401

I guess people don't use reserves any more? Back when I bought my plane, I figured that if I could make it to 1,800 on my engine (I'm a realist) and I needed to reserve $2,000 every year for future avionics needs (repairs or upgrades), it equated to another $20 to $40 per hour flown. With the recent overhaul prices I am seeing, looks like I may need to jack that a bit.

What's the difference between $115/hr dry [that everyone says is too cheap] and ~$200/hour wet, that everyone thinks is a good price? $85 will buy 14 gallons of fuel at $6/gallon, much more than a J will burn. For ease, call it $60/hour fuel which would make a dry rate of ~$140. The OP seems to run around $100/hour, but maybe he's not including his own insurance and hangar rent in his operating cost. Some things we pay are the cost to own, not the cost to operate.