Instrument panel lord mounts

aaronk25

I noticed on my 77J that The Lord mount on the top left side of the panel was severed. After inspecting the others I notice the ones near the top have about 1/4 inch of sag and the ones along the bottom near the yoke have about 3/8 or more. Now some of this I am sure is due to the panel not fitting absolutely perfect in the frame which is normal, but it seems 35 years of gravity has taken at least some toll on the mounts.

I replaced the top left one but it has about 3/8 of a inch or more of deflection from the other mounts being worn. The top of the panel is about 1/8 of a inch lower than the fixed mounted panel but barley noticeable, except to me:). So question should I replace all the other mounts or not. What have others done. If replacing all do you remove the entire panel at once or try to replace the mounts one at a time?

Thanks,

Aaron

On my E, they were deflected to the point they were touching the switches on on the bottom of the pilots side panel. I replaced them all. I found the new ones to be quite a bit flexible than the 40 year old ones. It did move the entire panel up about 3/8 inch. I do not think the sequence of replacement matters as long as you have them all securely in place when done.

When your instrument panel turns off your landing light...

(1) it is time for new panel mounts...they are low cost and available through aircraft spruce .com. they can be changed out one at a time if you need to. Consider changing about half a dozen or so at a time. For each acorn nut on the front of the panel there is a rubber mount behind it...

(2) it is time for a new landing light switch CB combo... These things wear so they are easy to turn off. The instrument panel can bump it off...

(3) it is time for new landing gear donuts....

Or practice on those really smooth landing techniques.

Some of the 40+ year old shock and vibration adsorbing parts don't work so well after a while.

This is all from my 65C experience,

Best regards,

-a-

what about ...

(4) replace all the old and heavy instruments that make the panel sag with an Aspen pro PFD ?

to be honest, with the type of flying I do, an Aspen PFD does not make my airplane safer or faster. However, it would make the panel look nice and lighter. I just wish I had the money to install one :(

• Like 1

what about ...

(4) replace all the old and heavy instruments that make the panel sag with an Aspen pro PFD ?

to be honest, with the type of flying I do, an Aspen PFD does not make my airplane safer or faster. However, it would make the panel look nice and lighter. I just wish I had the money to install one :(

you and me both

I noticed on my 77J that The Lord mount on the top left side of the panel was severed. After inspecting the others I notice the ones near the top have about 1/4 inch of sag and the ones along the bottom near the yoke have about 3/8 or more. Now some of this I am sure is due to the panel not fitting absolutely perfect in the frame which is normal, but it seems 35 years of gravity has taken at least some toll on the mounts.

I replaced the top left one but it has about 3/8 of a inch or more of deflection from the other mounts being worn. The top of the panel is about 1/8 of a inch lower than the fixed mounted panel but barley noticeable, except to me:). So question should I replace all the other mounts or not. What have others done. If replacing all do you remove the entire panel at once or try to replace the mounts one at a time?

Thanks,

Aaron

I replaced all of mine at once, since they looked like the original ones. I believe it was the one in the lower corner that was hard to get to. McMaster has any size or stiffness that you might need.

I replaced all of them at once. It is a little tricky bur easy to do in a couple hours. Start with the top ones first. Mine had the acorn nuts which I replaced with flush phillips screws. I like the flush look better. To do this requires a different mount than the one that takes the acorn nut. Pm me for details if you need.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I had my new panel made I did away with the rubber and mounted everything solid.

Hopefully this will work out OK for you, but the isolation mounts are supposed to dampen vibrations to give the gyros a little softer life. Maybe the new gyros are more resistant to vibration than the old ones....

I replaced the mounts on my 62 C when the panel started dropping enough to turn the switches directly below the panel off. Aircraft Spruce had replacements, I think they were sold as a Cessna part but the Mooney never knew. When I took the old ones off several were actually broken, and others had a severe droop It was nice to get the panel back up where it was supposed to be, and not as wobbly.