"Objectionable" airports

flyby201

I was looking at VFR charts recently and came across a couple of airports labelled "Objectionable". One is just west of Pearland, TX and there are 2 near OSH, one north and one west of OSH. I've been flying for over 12 years and this is the first time I've seen this. Is it new and what does it mean?

So we're based at LVJ (Pearland) and I Am looking at where it says "Objectionable" and as far as I can tell, there is no airport there and there has never been one. Also this rev of the sectional is the first time I've ever seen that there. That's really weird.

I found this on google: http://expertaviator...onable-airport/

Maybe someone attempted to carve a strip into their backyard? I am going to look for it next time I fly.

I googled and found this.

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/AIR/air1004.html

Which states:

b. Landing facilities that have received objectionable airspace determinations must be published in the NFDD as “objectionable.” They must be depicted on VFR aeronautical charts only and without identifying text other than to designate objectionable status. They must not be published in the Airport/Facility Directory (A/FD).

Bd,

One of my favorite airports was in MA. Norfolk.

It closed just after I purchased my Mooney. It was less than 5 miles from my parents house.

It stayed on charts for several cycles, with X marks on the runway, grass growing through the cracked surface...

Wish we could have save it. Several businesses and multiple jobs evacuated after that...

-a-

Bd,

One of my favorite airports was in MA. Norfolk.

It closed just after I purchased my Mooney. It was less than 5 miles from my parents house.

It stayed on charts for several cycles, with X marks on the runway, grass growing through the cracked surface...

Wish we could have save it. Several businesses and multiple jobs evacuated after that...

-a-

Is it the one 5 miles east off hopedale industrial? I think it was there when i learned to fly in 2003. I was going around trying to visit all the airports in the 152, but never got around to a few airports such as norfolk, cranland and marlboro (rwy too short for me at that time)

That's the one.

Back in the days when unknown unknowns were still unknown and not even thought of...

I was traveling fully loaded with family in the plane for the first time. more family picking us up and no Internet data like we have today. Fortunately we had cell phones, so going to Hopedale wasn't too much of a hardship. My baby girl announced her displeasure of flying on final approach!

Thanks for the great memories,

We flew to Norfolk in a new to us M20C, first time cross country with the family, seeing Xs on the runway, baby barf in the back seat, cell phone batteries that die, Loran before GPS was affordable, and paper charts. Our alternate airport was also new to us, the final approach intersected with a street off the end of the runway, look both ways before crossing...

We have improved our cross country skills in the last dozen years. We use an Ovation, KOWD and rental cars for important things like Thanksgiving. We also take the Internet with us in living color and make free phone calls on it all day long. There are at least 5 GPSs in the plane, one of them is even panel mounted and IFR current, another is receiving graphical weather overlays over current charts on a 28 day cycle, another is AA battery powered.

Communication including MooneySpace can help us maintain those small airports before they evaporate completely, and educate us about what to expect before going out there.

Who wouldn't want to learn to fly???

Best regards,

-a-

Wow quite an adventure :) hopefully i never have to see X on approach.

I live 30 mins from KOWD but with the 3 year plane-port waitlist, have to keep mine in fitchburg. About your comment on who wouldnt want to fly now - i was looking up sport planes and those rotax engines cost 10k with crankshaft to overhaul (no official source, just internet search). While not a traveling machine, they are much more affordable to run for limited missions, especially with something exciting like the icon aircraft !

(photo above)

People would be happy with an extended runway and more slips, walking distance to Chicago...

I flew into Gary,Ind. KGYY last year, it was not as nice or convenient and it did not save me money compared to a direct flight into the lakefront airport.

Just sayin'

-a-