My Landing Video

donkaye

I recently changed my Website to enable my preferred way to purchase through Zelle.  If you purchase through Zelle PLEASE provide your email address and address to send the video.  

On 5/31/2024 at 11:09 AM, donkaye said:

I recently changed my Website to enable my preferred way to purchase through Zelle.  If you purchase through Zelle PLEASE provide your email address and address to send the video.  If Steve Shead is monitoring Mooneyspace please contact me at donkaye@earthlink.net.  Since I have neither of the above, currently I have no way to contact you or a way to send the video.

Would love to see your video but did away with DVD players a while ago. You should make it available as a download.

18 minutes ago, NickG said:

Would love to see your video but did away with DVD players a while ago. You should make it available as a download.

True.  I can't remember the last time I bought a DVD...and have NO plans to do so in the future:D

1 hour ago, NickG said:

1 hour ago, MikeOH said:

True.  I can't remember the last time I bought a DVD...and have NO plans to do so in the future:D

Agree with both of you, but in this instance I ordered Don's video back when I bought my Mooney and am glad I did. It is very well done and was helpful. I shared it with a hangar neighbor when he sold his Cherokee and bought a Mooney and he said he found it extremely helpful too.

• Like 1

As part of the DVD package I send, I include a very important document that complements the video.    I, also, send out an email that discusses how best to use the video.

I have sent a number of copies of the video out by WeTransfer and separately send out the documentation along with the supporting email.  It adds a separate step with regard to playing it.  The .cdr file doesn't just automatically play like inserting it into a CD player.  On the Mac it plays with "DVD Player" or on both a Mac or Windows machine it plays with a multimedia player such as "VLC".  The video is not long (but each type of approach can be played over and over again), is not a polished production as many videos might be, but is different than any videos I have seen in that it was shot and composited to show in one picture the approach perspective from both the pilot's view and side view from the ground.  Since it was made with tape, there is no prop interference and the unintentional but beneficial low alternator noise demonstrates the proper use of power in the approaches, ie, the less power changes the better.  One other thing, I unapologetically included an unintended go around to show that, no matter what your experience level, when the unexpected happens, a go around can be started with a quick decision with no anxiety.

Bottom line, the video can be sent out as a download.

• Like 2

I have it and it’s fantastic for what it shows. I converted my dvd version to be played on my media server (as I do with all my dvd/blu-rays). Maybe a usb could be an alternate way of getting it…

-Don

I bought Don's video when I first bought my Mooney and I am very glad I did.  I would recommend buying a USB DVD player if you dont have one if you are new to Mooney since Don's video is that good and worth it.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I will be a contrarian on this topic. I think the content and structure is well thought out… but it has not kept with times. The video quality and delivery is … neglected… I think it is barely 480p.

I highly suggest bold method landing course… it covers much more types of landing, is delivered with much higher quality and online…

45 minutes ago, dominikos said:

I will be a contrarian on this topic. I think the content and structure is well thought out… but it has not kept with times. The video quality and delivery is … neglected… I think it is barely 480p.

I highly suggest bold method landing course… it covers much more types of landing, is delivered with much higher quality and online…

If you think it wasn't of any benefit in helping to learn to land your Mooney correctly and are only interested in how good the video looks, let me know and I'll give you your money back like I say in each email I send out with each video.  In all the years it has been out I've had only one person do that.  I did the video with iDVD that doesn't exist any more, so to keep the menu and the video content intact I haven't redone it and I don't intend to.  As it is, I'm practically giving it away anyway.  Does Bold Method do it with an experienced Mooney Specific Instructor?  Since the purpose of the video is to demonstrate technique with the Mooney, the current version accomplishes that purpose, and without prop flicker, as it was done with tape.

My main purpose in doing it was to help prevent prop strikes, and I hope it helped to that end, but I'm not going to give it away, old technology or not.  If you want demonstrations of landing a Mooney including severe bounced landings and recovery, buy the video.  If you want 1080P done in non Mooney "Plop on" type airplanes that require little landing skills, get it from some other source.

As I said, for a new Mooney pilot, it is useful, has good content and structure. But people should be clear what they receive. It is a Mooney landing set of techniques with 2010s quality. I don’t think it aspires to be more.

i do think that bold method is a good landing/takeoff course that covers a range of options/scenarios. I found both complimentary. As I got better with Mooney landings, but don’t do crosswind landings as often, I go back to the bold method bootcamps and videos.

sorry, didn’t mean to be critical, just want to be clear on what to expect. 

52 minutes ago, dominikos said:

As I said, for a new Mooney pilot, it is useful, has good content and structure. But people should be clear what they receive. It is a Mooney landing set of techniques with 2010s quality. I don’t think it aspires to be more.

i do think that bold method is a good landing/takeoff course that covers a range of options/scenarios. I found both complimentary. As I got better with Mooney landings, but don’t do crosswind landings as often, I go back to the bold method bootcamps and videos.

sorry, didn’t mean to be critical, just want to be clear on what to expect. 

Thanks for the critique.  I'm going to change the Website to clearly state that the video quality is not current, and that if video quality is more important than video content, then the video should not be purchased, but if you want to learn how to land your Mooney properly the video could be a very beneficial purchase.

Edit: My Website has been updated to reflect video quality.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, donkaye said:

My main purpose in doing it was to help prevent prop strikes (...)  If you want demonstrations of landing a Mooney including severe bounced landings and recovery, buy the video.  If you want 1080P done in non Mooney "Plop on" type airplanes that require little landing skills, get it from some other source.

FWIW to new members, I think it is extremely helpful in sensitizing people to the way that the porpoising dynamic develops. I just had a terrible landing last week after several "greaser" flights, due to rapid configuration changes late in the approach and poor short final Vref. 

The biggest value is the -experience of the instructor  and - the multiple simultaneous video feeds. 
Agree it looks dated but who cares?

2 hours ago, dkkim73 said:

The biggest value is the -experience of the instructor  and - the multiple simultaneous video feeds. 
Agree it looks dated but who cares?

It looks dated because it was done over 10 years ago and technology has moves ahead.  It took awhile to set up the camera on the ground and an experienced engineer to help with the syncing of the 2 cameras, the editing and compositing.   I don't like the way the modern cameras show the prop in the forward view even with filters that I consider poor.  It's distracting.  One recent purchaser upscaled the video to 4K but could not get the menu to be included.  That was more unsatisfactory to me for distribution than the current resolution that includes the menu.

On 6/16/2024 at 8:19 PM, donkaye said:

It looks dated because it was done over 10 years ago and technology has moves ahead.  It took awhile to set up the camera on the ground and an experienced engineer to help with the syncing of the 2 cameras, the editing and compositing.   I don't like the way the modern cameras show the prop in the forward view even with filters that I consider poor.  It's distracting.  One recent purchaser upscaled the video to 4K but could not get the menu to be included.  That was more unsatisfactory to me for distribution than the current resolution that includes the menu.

Don,

I want to thank you for your work which has been priceless for me as a Mooney driver.  We never flew together but I have flown the past 12 years using your video and the tables you published for the landing configuration and speeds.  Honestly, video quality is the last thing for me to pay attention to while watching the video which I did an hour ago :)

2 hours ago, M20S Driver said:

Don,

I want to thank you for your work which has been priceless for me as a Mooney driver.  We never flew together but I have flown the past 12 years using your video and the tables you published for the landing configuration and speeds.  Honestly, video quality is the last thing for me to pay attention to while watching the video which I did an hour ago :)

Thanks, I appreciate your comments.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

My two pennys worth.  Its a really useful video amd helps Mooney pilots greatly.   

Re quality…well there is a lot of P..n that is older and done on lower quality than modern methods of filming, but it still conveys what it needs to convey.  Ne C’est Pas?   

• Haha 2

Don,

It was a pleasure meeting you in person at the fly-in in Paso Robles this weekend. Your video was extremely helpful to me in transitioning from my old Mooney to the Bravo. For the value I got out of it, I could not care less if it was on Betamax tape in black & white :) .

Fly safe!

Ivan

On 6/30/2024 at 3:00 PM, Hyett6420 said:

Re quality…well there is a lot of P..n that is older and done on lower quality than modern methods of filming, but it still conveys what it needs to convey.  Ne C’est Pas?   

I got a laugh out of this, comparing Don's video to pr0n. I will say, there are certain YouTube videos that keep you clicking... Aviation-related are the ones I'm dusting here, to be clear, and many of those are landing-related, so you might be on to something...

And I suppose some landing videos are too terrible to watch. 

On 6/30/2024 at 5:06 PM, IvanP said:

Don,

It was a pleasure meeting you in person at the fly-in in Paso Robles this weekend. Your video was extremely helpful to me in transitioning from my old Mooney to the Bravo. For the value I got out of it, I could not care less if it was on Betamax tape in black & white :) .

Fly safe!

Ivan

Thank you, Ivan, it was a pleasure meeting you, too.  We all had a great time Saturday night.

On 7/1/2024 at 7:06 PM, dkkim73 said:

I got a laugh out of this, comparing Don's video to pr0n. I will say, there are certain YouTube videos that keep you clicking... Aviation-related are the ones I'm dusting here, to be clear, and many of those are landing-related, so you might be on to something...

And I suppose some landing videos are too terrible to watch. 

You should watch some if the "bad landing collection" videos . . . . Some just lost it a little, and some are absolutely hideous! Thankfully they are all filmed from outside the plane, where Don's instructional videos give both outside and inside views.