Bob Fields Door Seals

Has anyone installed one of these on their aircraft? I own one and am getting ready to set it up on my M20R. I opted for the motorized version. I'm eager to connect with individuals who have hands-on experience or are aware of someone with AMA certification to discuss this. Thanks!

I would love to see photos of an install how the seal navigates around the locking pins and the bottom hinge arm. I have the deluxe version so if anyone has any photos of the deluxe install of how the tube is installed from the aircraft to the fuselage. 

As I get mine installed, I'll edit and post updates here on what was useful. 
1. Old Seal Removal - I used Peerco Adhesive Remover 321. It worked like a dream. It's a bit like a gel so you can apply it and leave it to sit for a couple hours and anything sticky wipes right off with little to no elbow grease. I was dreading this part of the process, but the Peerco made it easy. It smells like oranges so it wasn't as offensive as other types of chem removers 

Edited by Tyler G
  • Like 2

Door was not designed with a channel for the foot of the seal , it will increase wear on the hinges .

ask Jim Klug at DBM who repairs door hinges from installing a door seal not designed for a spec cabin door .

Doors with inflatable door has a third latch and a foot for the seal to deflate when in static.

Shown is the rain seal on the airframe to channel water out of the seal area when static / parked .

I would not want the liability of selling a product that was not designed originally for a specific airframe.

IMG_5329.png

IMG_5328.png

IMG_5330.jpeg

IMG_5325.png

On 3/7/2024 at 12:32 PM, Oscar Avalle said:

I did install one in my M20c. Not difficult at all.

oscar

Would you mind posting photos of the install? it would be nice to see the bottom where the hinge is. 

On 3/7/2024 at 2:51 PM, Tyler G said:

Has anyone installed one of these on their aircraft? I own one and am getting ready to set it up on my M20R. I opted for the motorized version. I'm eager to connect with individuals who have hands-on experience or are aware of someone with AMA certification to discuss this. Thanks!

I would love to see photos of an install how the seal navigates around the locking pins and the bottom hinge arm. I have the deluxe version so if anyone has any photos of the deluxe install of how the tube is installed from the aircraft to the fuselage. 

As I get mine installed, I'll edit and post updates here on what was useful. 
1. Old Seal Removal - I used Peerco Adhesive Remover 321. It worked like a dream. It's a bit like a gel so you can apply it and leave it to sit for a couple hours and anything sticky wipes right off with little to no elbow grease. I was dreading this part of the process, but the Peerco made it easy. It smells like oranges so it wasn't as offensive as other types of chem removers 

The inflatable seals work OK on some airplanes. But, I've removed two of them from Mooneys, because they made the doors too hard to close. Customers complained about getting the door closed, and damage to the hinges, latches, and door handle. The seal is a universal size, rather than customized for the application. It's too big for the space in the forward portion of the door opening. And the rivets in the door are located right where the seal needs to be, so the rivet heads push the seal away and add an effective 1/8" to the thickness of the seal. 

A high quality hollow bulb-type seal works better. And of course a well-rigged door is needed in the first place.