In Need of a new Lower and possibly upper cowling for 2008 acclaim

M20TN_Driver

Had a mishap today at the hangar today.  Got in a rush and turned the engine over with the tug still attached.  Busted the lower cowling pretty well.  The Upper has some damage but may be able to be repaired--if there is such a process on Carbon Fiber.

Does anyone have a line on where to source a replacement?  I'm told Mooney doesn't stock this part(s).

5 hours ago, M20TN_Driver said:

Had a mishap today at the hangar today.  Got in a rush and turned the engine over with the tug still attached.  Busted the lower cowling pretty well.  The Upper has some damage but may be able to be repaired--if there is such a process on Carbon Fiber.

Does anyone have a line on where to source a replacement?  I'm told Mooney doesn't stock this part(s).

It's probably worse than that if the prop struck the tug. You may end up with an engine tear down.

Regarding the lower cowling, this may be a much less expensive alternative: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254917412660?epid=4045077810&hash=item3b5a430734:g:fccAAOSwYx5kZk1l&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwAX5vt6CQJZ8u2wmDU6JGXTd24kj%2F6t649FhjHhp5lInTHfNJUN%2FDa1f2ITHvua8WQwZ40qsKqz41fcqh2D%2Bz8lFWjOSoJqggx53hvr5T5E671OWtlvqMQ9bd1Hc5YDLJmkNos7uzSd%2FGEYGWesUto0dvtl%2FaHp8USrzHZW7ENYa0GJYDLE7s3IGNScYaIrSPSc4gjj%2B%2BIYdF1W47W7kZB6aYyJWORLFW%2Fx2FSuOyTnVquK%2BFnJxy992IkOmNBF%2BMg%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5Lt95udYg

Upper cowling: https://www.ebay.com/itm/233943729268?epid=11045074180&hash=item3678220474:g:XwkAAOSwV8RkZk1t&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwAvwQEKnFKtP8N4nPXBzIw78AmxnGO%2F5JxAykoZ1tmA4OQDadQ2Iw4uoUQfJ66MlJ3Uou60SQozq8newvBBXQHZz%2FBUYJI92azopb%2Bj8yeZ03VU8FSMP1wDX2prDZ0nXBioHYW1HAWGcReAXRNh9392fJHQzKW2zoiEzrGZOretdwlDj7Xy%2Fw2t4yhtiI98f%2F9MCAV0Kz2PhRuGVVCTop6%2FIgD2Y%2B5JwObqFlNDsppN9nWRY4cpjSjIl3zGXfU%2FNVA%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR7DMzq2dYg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Ouch!  Carbon (and fiberglass) is exceptionally repairable in the hands of a skilled technician.  I had my OLD J cowling "refreshed" heavily at Maxwell's prior to paint.  I haven't seen it yet in person, but Paul said it turned out great.  Lynn Mace (I think I have that right) relocated there after closing his shop, and he is now their composite expert.

I'd be far more worried about the prop and engine, though, as Lance mentioned.  Good luck.

• Like 1

I just got a set of fiberglass window frames built by Mooney, I had to order them, but I got them in about six or eight weeks. Which is pretty remarkable. I think they can build you a cowl, but unless its totally destroyed, It's not all that hard to repair it. Plus, I don't think any of them are carbon fiber. They had some experimental carbon cowling at Oshkosh a few years ago and they were saying maybe someday

1 hour ago, jetdriven said:

I just got a set of fiberglass window frames built by Mooney, I had to order them, but I got them in about six or eight weeks. Which is pretty remarkable. I think they can build you a cowl, but unless its totally destroyed, It's not all that hard to repair it. Plus, I don't think any of them are carbon fiber. They had some experimental carbon cowling at Oshkosh a few years ago and they were saying maybe someday

The Acclaim upper and lower cowling is carbon fiber. The weight feels like half what a Bravo cowling weighs. 

The Acclaim cowling is made by Composites Universal Group in Warren, OR. If I remember correctly the previous cowling before that were made just down the road from the Kerrville factory in Center Point TX. 

• Like 2

This is going to be an insurance claim. Very expensive mistake. The engine is coming off the airframe to be torn down for inspection. Prop is on the way to be inspected/repaired. Total mess. 

I think I’m going to have plenty of time to get it sorted.  The cowls are absolutely carbon fiber.  I’ll call Mooney and Maxwell to see what they can do. Thank you all for the help. 

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, M20TN_Driver said:

This is going to be an insurance claim. Very expensive mistake. The engine is coming off the airframe to be torn down for inspection. Prop is on the way to be inspected/repaired. Total mess. 

I think I’m going to have plenty of time to get it sorted.  The cowls are absolutely carbon fiber.  I’ll call Mooney and Maxwell to see what they can do. Thank you all for the help. 

I’m sorry to hear that. This sucks and it’s an easy mistake to make that can happen to anyone. Are you going to overhaul the engine or just do a teardown?

10 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

I’m sorry to hear that. This sucks and it’s an easy mistake to make that can happen to anyone. Are you going to overhaul the engine or just do a teardown?

I’m going to have it overhauled at the same time. Given that they have to crack the case and there are some mandatory parts that have to be replaced regardless.  I think it only makes sense financially to tackle it now.  I was beyond TBO as it was, but the engine was very strong.

I’ve never damaged an airplane in 30 years of flying so this really bummed me out. Got in a hurry. Got out of my regular routine as we were loading bags and I was distracted.   The tug is a redline and you cannot see it at all from the cockpit when installed. 

• Sad 4

We all continue to learn lessons every day. 30 years without an incident is better than most. Sounds like you won’t make this mistake again and the insurance company will cover part of your engine overhaul. You’ll have a beautiful, safe plane with a newly overhauled engine when this is over.

I had a CFI teach me that the last thing he does before getting in is to walk around the plane the opposite way he did the preflight. Gives you a last chance to catch what you might have missed. Getting out of our routine is definitely dangerous.

• Like 1

Shop around for the engine shop. The best big Continental engine shop in the country is Powermasters in Tulsa, but theyre backed up, call for an update. So is Poplar Grove.  We ended up using Western Skyways for our last two Continentals, both came back excellent, and in about 8 weeks, which today, is stellar. Some shops are booked out a year.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

We all continue to learn lessons every day. 30 years without an incident is better than most. Sounds like you won’t make this mistake again and the insurance company will cover part of your engine overhaul. You’ll have a beautiful, safe plane with a newly overhauled engine when this is over.

I had a CFI teach me that the last thing he does before getting in is to walk around the plane the opposite way he did the preflight. Gives you a last chance to catch what you might have missed. Getting out of our routine is definitely dangerous.

100%.  I am going to add a flag to the tug so it can be seen from the cockpit and never firing up again without a walk around. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jetdriven said:

Shop around for the engine shop. The best big Continental engine shop in the country is Powermasters in Tulsa, but theyre backed up, call for an update. So is Poplar Grove.  We ended up using Western Skyways for our last two Continentals, both came back excellent, and in about 8 weeks, which today, is stellar. Some shops are booked out a year.

Wow. 8 weeks sounds like a deal. I’d be thrilled with that turnaround. 

For anyone wondering what new will cost--Mooney can actually make the carbon fiber cowls new.  

Price is crazy high:  "Looks like the factory can make the cowlings for your airplane.  Looks like upper cowling is $14,824 and lower cowling is $19,719.  Waiting to get a lead time for you"

While I can't say I've examined the insides or the engineering on an Acclaim cowl, I can say with 100% certainty that carbon fiber parts like it are very repairable.  If you don't have a local option, I would call Maxwell.  If they cannot do it, I might be able to find a way local to me in Wichita.  You would not believe some of the composite/carbon fiber/honeycomb repairs I've witnessed and in many cases engineered for OEM production repairs and occasionally fleet repairs.

2 hours ago, M20TN_Driver said:

Yeah--Doubt insurance will bite on that one...

The Ebay links above from BAS would get you a upper/lower cowl to repaint for $5500 plus tax. If you buy it directly from them and not go through Ebay it's $5000, probably no tax (https://baspartsales.com/search-results-page?q=mooney m20TN)

They also will deal a little on price if you talk to them directly. It wouldn't hurt to mention this to your insurance company.

35 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

The Ebay links above from BAS would get you a upper/lower cowl to repaint for $5500 plus tax. If you buy it directly from them and not go through Ebay it's $5000, probably no tax (https://baspartsales.com/search-results-page?q=mooney m20TN)

They also will deal a little on price if you talk to them directly. It wouldn't hurt to mention this to your insurance company.

This is one of the options we are considering. Thanks for the find. 

56 minutes ago, M20TN_Driver said:

I've got messages into Maxwell.  Finding a used replacement seems like the easiest of the options. 

With roughly 143 pre-ultra Acclaims made it's going to be tough to find another used one. Repair yours or get a new one are probably your only two options.

15 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

With roughly 143 pre-ultra Acclaims made it's going to be tough to find another used one. Repair yours or get a new one are probably your only two options.

Agreed. Going through universal composites to source new. Assuming they have the original molds…

• 2 months later...