The engine is attached!

gevertex

9 hours ago, carusoam said:

What prop is going on next?

-a-

It's the same model prop that was already on it (McCauley 2-Blade-B2D34C214-B). It was another 3+ months for any of the 3 blades / top prop and more AMUs. Original prop was sent out for overhaul and both blades were "out of spec".  Already in for 50% more AMUs than I expected so took the baseline option.  Good news is just about entire firewall forward will be either new or overhauled. Hopefully that means less future downtime.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AnAngryGoose said:

Very nice! I'll be starting my own restoration project soon and I'm looking forward to being able to post updates like this one. Keep em coming!

I'll get to fly it for a bit, then it will be back in for a new panel. I hope yours is airworthy again soon.

1 hour ago, gevertex said:

It's the same model prop that was already on it (McCauley 2-Blade-B2D34C214-B). It was another 3+ months for any of the 3 blades / top prop and more AMUs. Original prop was sent out for overhaul and both blades were "out of spec".  Already in for 50% more AMUs than I expected so took the baseline option.  Good news is just about entire firewall forward will be either new or overhauled. Hopefully that means less future downtime.

Hi many hours on the prop?  I sometimes get a sketchy feeling when blade are unexpectedly condemned.  I’m not saying that’s what happened here, but it would be nice to know how many hours in service and how many overhauls.
My Hartzell has had 3 overhauls and I was told after last overhaul that there is adequate material for 4th.

3 hours ago, Shadrach said:

Hi many hours on the prop?  I sometimes get a sketchy feeling when blade are unexpectedly condemned.  I’m not saying that’s what happened here, but it would be nice to know how many hours in service and how many overhauls.
My Hartzell has had 3 overhauls and I was told after last overhaul that there is adequate material for 4th.

I have the same sketchy feeling generally. It had 2 prior overhauls and is roughly 22 years old with ~2.5k hours  Some people are trustworthy, some are not.  It's hard to know the difference when I am getting 2nd hand info through my A&P.  If the airplane was closer I'd probably be working on it myself with an A&P, vs letting someone else handle everything.

Edited by gevertex
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gevertex said:

I have the same sketchy feeling generally. It had 2 prior overhauls and is roughly 22 years old with ~2.5k hours  Some people are trustworthy, some are not.  It's hard to know the difference when I am getting 2nd hand info through my A&P.  If the airplane was closer I'd probably be working on it myself with an A&P, vs letting someone else handle everything.

Just for an additional data point, my Hartzell is 55yrs old and has ~3500hrs.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/14/2022 at 5:53 PM, Shadrach said:

Just for an additional data point, my Hartzell is 55yrs old and has ~3500hrs.

No idea in my case.  My A&P seems like an honest guy and AFAIK we didn't buy the new prop from the same guy who said it needed two new blades.  The airplane was a flight school airplane for a short time in the past, perhaps the prop had some other kind of damage.  Who knows!

On 10/14/2022 at 7:48 AM, gevertex said:

Ooof, that comment gave me flashbacks! :unsure:  Prop repairs must be done by a prop shop, so you're kind of held hostage by them if they're sketchy.  FWIW now, @Cody Stallings is our resident prop shop superguy.  

That's kind of funny, when I needed a new prop, the Hartzell was cheaper by about $1.5k, and available a couple weeks sooner than the Macauley.  That was before the shipper ran it through with a forklift, though :blink:

Performance-wise, they're about the same, although I think noise/vibration is actually a little more on the Hartzell after dynamic balancing both.

Edited by jaylw314
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 12:51 PM, jaylw314 said:

Ooof, that comment gave me flashbacks! :unsure:  Prop repairs must be done by a prop shop, so you're kind of held hostage by them if they're sketchy.  FWIW now, @Cody Stallings is our resident prop shop superguy.  

That's kind of funny, when I needed a new prop, the Hartzell was cheaper by about $1.5k, and available a couple weeks sooner than the Macauley.  That was before the shipper ran it through with a forklift, though :blink:

Performance-wise, they're about the same, although I think noise/vibration is actually a little more on the Hartzell after dynamic balancing both.

3 blades definitely looks cooler and I would have gone that direction, but I am happy with 2 blades since it was going to be more expensive and a lot longer wait. I'll take the useful load too. Can almost never have too much of that in GA.

6 hours ago, gevertex said:

3 blades definitely looks cooler and I would have gone that direction, but I am happy with 2 blades since it was going to be more expensive and a lot longer wait. I'll take the useful load too. Can almost never have too much of that in GA.

Oops, no I was talking about the 2-blade Hartzell scimitar prop.  The 3-blade was a couple thousand more

• Thanks 1

No better method of doing internal damage to a new engine than using the starter motor to build oil pressure.  Why do so many maintainers not have a pressure pot?  While it’s cranking away there is no lubrication to anything.  In the second picture the cabin heater inlet Scat duct is supposed to be routed around the #2 intake pipe and secured to it with Adel clamps.