Leaking magnetic compass..

It's a perpetual plague for me on any airplane I own.  Sitting at FL190 yesterday, the compass springs a leak.  Any idea if the stock M20K compass is one that can be resealed or if I have to get a new one altogether?

Also, I think this is the correct p/n, but maybe someone can verify before I go out to the plane today...

C2400-L4VT

Rumor has it we had the same issue.  A new diaphragm from Aircraft Spruce for the Airpath compass is rumored to have fixed it. Disclaimer: Supposedly its a job for an instrument repair shop. Its also just 5 screws.  Tip: submerge the compass in the fluid and turn it every which way to get the last bubble out. Make sure the rear cover is straight.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/repairkit.php

directions:   www.eaa448.org/Downloads/EAA448May09.pdf

info: http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3434

Parker, ours did the same thing, it only leaked when flying. I supppose the differential pressure (compass is sealed) and the vibration aggravates it.  Anyways, you can fix it for 20$.  Odorless mineral spirits is rumored to be the same as the special compass fluid.  Get the non-magnetic fluid, not the standard kindCool

Quote: jetdriven

Parker, ours did the same thing, it only leaked when flying. I supppose the differential pressure (compass is sealed) and the vibration aggravates it.  Anyways, you can fix it for 20$.  Odorless mineral spirits is rumored to be the same as the special compass fluid.  Get the non-magnetic fluid, not the standard kindCool

I didnt think the OEM manufacturer of the compass who supplies repair parts had to be FAA-PMA, as their authority is granted as a manufacturer of the item.  IE Mooney woldnt have to have  a PMA stamp on a replacement cowl flap, only the correct Mooney part number.

Quote: Parker_Woodruff

Maybe I'll fix it myself then keep it on the shelf for future use.  Not enough time this week once I got the supplies and I need the plane for work by Friday or Saturday.  Also haven't yet made any A&P friends here (yet) to inspect & sign off.

to Gulf Coast Avionics we go...

With a conventional DG that has to be readjusted regularly, I found the vertical card compass much easier to check against quickly.  As an emergency backup in case of vacuum or gyro failure, I the whiskey compass works acceptably.  That said, I would replace it with a vertical card before I would repair it.  In bouncy IMC conditions, the vertical card is much better than the vibrating ball.  

A paper towell and rubber band can keep it from dripping on your glareshield, but it still smells.

Before compass repairs required an instrument repair shop our old AP would put in a seal kit, refill, and then re-swing the compass in about an hour total time. The comment about submerging the compas in the fluid is exactly what he would do; he used White Kerosene (not gas station kero; Lowes and Home depot still sell White Kero by the gallon) and fill a coffee can. After installing the new seal kit he would submerge the whole compass and tap and jiggle it to get all the air bubbles out.

Of course he can't do this anymore now that you need to be an instrument repair shop, so he was just showing us how it used to be done. Sort of like I used to show guys how they could repair the Cessna electric clocks themselves if they were no longer going to be used in an aircraft. Usually takes about ten minutes and can fix about half of the dead Cessna electric clocks. The other half are just paperweights.

Jim

When I bought my plane in June I immediately tossed the wet compass for a vertical card. I have had nothing but problems with it since. It can’t go more than 2 weeks until it needs to be adjusted. It also has no cover on the bottom so there are exposed gears that I think could cause a problem.  What a P.O.S!!

I wish I had the old ugly wet compass back.

My Avionics Shop absoltuely hates the open face vertical compass, he showed me a box of them all with a hammer put to them so no one would be tempted. He insisted on the SIRS compass and after 800 hrs and countless high altitude forays I have to say it is the most stable compass I have ever been around. Several pilots have also commented as they watched it perform in turbulence.

Quote: donshapansky

My Avionics Shop absoltuely hates the open face vertical compass, he showed me a box of them all with a hammer put to them so no one would be tempted. He insisted on the SIRS compass and after 800 hrs and countless high altitude forays I have to say it is the most stable compass I have ever been around. Several pilots have also commented as they watched it perform in turbulence.

I just looked up the compass you mentioned and WOW! I am really impressed with it. I have never heard of this compass before but it looks like a very high quality piece. I also like the fact that it is cheaper than this P.O.S. Vertical Card compass I have. I completely agree with your avionics shop, as I stated previously I downgraded compasses when I purchased my plane back in June because I did not like looking at a leaking ball in the middle of the windscreen. What a mistake. Your compass really does look great.