PC Bypass Switch (Override) Relocation?

I read somewhere that there is an electric version of the PC bypass to replace the original that is mounted in the control wheel.  What I would like to do is move the PC bypass from the control wheel to the instrument panel with a simple on-off toggle switch like a 'normal' autopilot.

This would free up the control wheel for better options on push-to-talk etc.

First, is this possible? 

Second, any recommendations?

Thanks!

Yes, it's possible.  Contact Brittain.  They sold me my servo that my Avionics "guy" installed.  Works great.  The conversion (paperwork) was for a new style yoke (which I have installed) and the switch is just a toggle switch on the front of my yoke.  If your "guy" will put it on the panel then you can do it, but the paperwork shows the switch on the yoke...

Quote: scottfromiowa

Yes, it's possible.  Contact Brittain.  They sold me my servo that my Avionics "guy" installed.  Works great.  The conversion (paperwork) was for a new style yoke (which I have installed) and the switch is just a toggle switch on the front of my yoke.  If your "guy" will put it on the panel then you can do it, but the paperwork shows the switch on the yoke...

I do not have a part number. Just call Brittain and ask about the "manual" valve instead of the servo. Does not effect yoke switch. Both still work. The valve is simply plumbed into the vacuum line in serial with the button on the yoke. I'll try to get the part number next time I am at my hanger.

• 4 weeks later...

Quote: robert14

I do not have a part number. Just call Brittain and ask about the "manual" valve instead of the servo. Does not effect yoke switch. Both still work. The valve is simply plumbed into the vacuum line in serial with the button on the yoke. I'll try to get the part number next time I am at my hanger.

PTTs are pretty easy to install, without having to redo the PC button. Here's my yoke--the big red button is the PTT. You can fabricate a similar piece for the right yoke, except it won't attach to the clock housing. Just fish the wires out the bottom of the yoke shaft, along with the wires that light up the clock.

The screw in the middle of the extension piece has a wire clamp on the back, then the wires route inside the clock housing and exit the distal end of the yoke together, along with the PC button tubing. Powder coat the mount to match your yoke.

post-54-13468140808756_thumb.jpg

Quote: N601RX

I added one to my plane last year, but have not flown yet due to some other work I'm doing.  The install is easy,  Mooney installed the mounting brackets and holes when they built the plane.  The parts are very difficult to find.  The servos will have to come from either a Mooney or Navion.  The controller and other parts are common to several planes and are easier to find.

Alt Hold would be nice, but I've never heard of anyone successfully finding all the parts since I bought my Accu-Trak and Accu-Flight-equipped plane in 2007. Instead, I've become close friends with the trim wheel, which admittedly is sometimes just not good enough. It flies a decent approach, it just won't land very well that way.